Vintage Minimoog Repair / Sale Value Question

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
WJK59

Vintage Minimoog Repair / Sale Value Question

Post by WJK59 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:36 am

I'm the original owner of a vintage Model D that I bought many, many years ago - when I was in the 8th grade, in fact. It's spent more years in the case (where it still is now) than it has being played at this point. As I haven't been playing it, I'm considering putting it up for sale at some point.

It's in very good condition, all things considered. I (mostly) saved it from foam rot when I learned about that, and there is some slight delamination of the control panel coating starting, but that's about it. I've never had it serviced. I did intend on possibly replacing the keyboard bushings (which I have) and maybe a couple springs/key actuators.

My question is, if I'm going to list it for sale, am I better off paying a cost to have it fully serviced, and then sell it - or should I assume that many potential buyers might prefer to do any maintenance / repair / upgrades themselves? And what kind of price differential should I expect between a vintage "as-is", fully playable, but never serviced Mini and one that's been fully "restored"?

Thanks -
Walter K

MarkLatham

Re: Vintage Minimoog Repair / Sale Value Question

Post by MarkLatham » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:58 am

All things considered, cost is consistently relative, yet I would not pay $2000 for one in that condition. Here is one completely adjusted and working for $2500 dispatched to your house: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minimoog-D-Synt ... 1c2e606575 buy thesis
In your case, the one you have could cost $1000 to fix and sell.

buonhead

Re: Vintage Minimoog Repair / Sale Value Question

Post by buonhead » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:11 pm

I have the same question. The $2,500 listing is gone and for good reason. Currently, the lowest price on Ebay for a Model D is $7,394.43 American - sold from Europe. The others range from 8k to 10.6 k.

buonhead in CT/USA