Model D Reissue - Noisy External Input. Is that normal?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
captainjc

Model D Reissue - Noisy External Input. Is that normal?

Post by captainjc » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:55 pm

Hi there,

I thought it would be fun to get some of that analogue Model D filter on my Reface DX, and use the full size midi keyboard with it. There's quite a bit of hiss when I do it. I am hoping someone else who has one could try something similar and tell me if they have a similar issue - if it's just a noisy circuit, or if something is wrong with mine.

I took a little video of it. I was only able to use my phone's mic, but you can still hear it pretty clearly if you turn it up a bit or use headphones.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yT4QMtX3kAmTRWDe8

At first I thought maybe it was the DX output, but I tried it with other sources as well, and it was the same. Finally I realized I can hear the noise with nothing at all plugged into the input. Here's what I did:

1) Panned over the controls so you can see how it's setup - in case you wonder if some knob needs to be turned down or something.
2) Set the level. At first you can see it clipping, but then I back off until the indicator no longer shows when I play.
If I turn up the external input volume, it gets louder and down, it gets quieter, but unless I crank the output of the DX way beyond clipping, it is always quite prominent. At this point you can hear the hiss gate on and off with the notes as I play them. If I turn down the filter cutoff, unsurprisingly, it filters the his away as well.
3) Lastly, I unplug the input, and you can hear the noise continues. It sounds a bit quieter in the video, but it doesn't really drop in volume. I think that's the iPhone mic not picking it up quite as well.
4) I showed you the lovely wall paper.

Thanks!