1974 minimoog contour gen issue

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
coolcatguy

1974 minimoog contour gen issue

Post by coolcatguy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:37 pm

my minimoog was relatively recently fixed up by a competent tech (basics like replacing caps, etc) and working perfectly fine for the better part of a year. i moved and didn't use it for a bunch of months and now the contour generator seems to have stopped functioning. i am a competent tech myself but the specifics of the contour gen have me a bit stuck. basically, the key trigger is working fine (-10V to 10V) but am getting 0V at the collector of Q20. i have replaced all of the transistors on the pcb with appropriate types, CR10 (which was cracked but functional) and a few carbon comp resistors. the only other slightly odd thing is that my 15V rail is a bit higher at just above 20V so that could possibly be contributing to the issue. any thoughts?

Markyboard

Re: 1974 minimoog contour gen issue

Post by Markyboard » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:58 pm

Are both contour generators not working? How about just the attack portion? I would check the decay switch and s-trigger input circuitry - It may be shorted. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the Cinch-Jones connector from the left hand controller.

coolcatguy

Post by coolcatguy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:28 pm

Markyboard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:58 pm Are both contour generators not working? How about just the attack portion? I would check the decay switch and s-trigger input circuitry - It may be shorted. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the Cinch-Jones connector from the left hand controller.
i had checked the decay switch prior and it was ok. after plugging in again, Q26 (in the decoupling circuit) let out the magic smoke. i was using exact part replacements but purchased them from tayda a few years ago and after checking them out, the 3392 must have been rebranded because the pinouts did not match what they should have been :x anyways, replaced everything with 3904/3906s and it was good to go! :D this was my third reminder to not buy active components from tayda (after receiving fake jfets many years ago and then faulty TL072s last year) so rest assured i will not make that mistake again.

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:46 pm

Cool- glad you resolved it.