Things I've noticed with my MMV Performer

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
spaceness

Things I've noticed with my MMV Performer

Post by spaceness » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:13 am

Hi friends,

I thought I'd post some comments about things I've noticed with my MMV Performer. They seem minor to me but was curious if any of you have noticed the same things or if my synth is "special". I'll try to be as clear as I can:

I've been studying the manual and learning how the MMV works and am now about to get serious with creating some patches. I thought I'd go with what the manual suggests and start off with the "Default Program" setting and work from there. I matched up the knobs and switches to the diagram on page 47 of the manual. I then performed the "Initialize Parameters" function in the OS which gave me the default sound. Theoretically, matching up the knobs/switches with the diagram should result in paremeter values close to the set paremeter values stored in memory for the default program, right? Well, out of curiosity I immediately went to "Edit" and selected "Real Panel Control", and to my suprise I got a different sound. I fiddled each knob and switch to compare each setting with the settings of the patch memory and found out that there were some noticeable differences between the two. Not sure which one is suppose to be right but it didn't really seem to matter. I figured I'd just match up all the knob/switch parameters with what was stored in memory and go from there. Well, as I was adjusting each knob I noticed that some of the knob values couldn't reach the values set in memory. For example: the Default Program setting in memory for the "KB. CONT. AMOUNT" was 255. But when I turned the knob all the way clockwise the value in the display only went to 250. Same thing with both "SUSTAIN" controls for the envelopes. Those are the only ones I noticed so far. I'm curious if this is a bug in the software. Is there a listing of what the software value ranges for each knob are supposed to be posted anywhere? Anybody else notice these quirks? I know their kind of petty issues but I'm still just a little curious.

Thanks,
~Gman

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:00 pm

I have also noticed that. In the diagram in the manual, the frequency knobs are in the vertical position, whereas in the parameters, they are very slightly to the right, but it does make a difference to the sound. I've also noticed that my knob in the parameters does not turn far enough, it stops about 5 short and fluctuates.

spaceness

Post by spaceness » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:46 pm

Well, I figured out my sound difference was related to the RESONANCE setting. The default program has the RESONANCE setting all the way down (0). The diagram shows the RESONANCE set at "5". This definitely changes the sound. The FREQUENCY settings for OSC2 and 3 have no effect on the sound, of course, becuase the Default Program only uses OSC1. So, I don't know how the Frequency knobs are affecting the sound you're getting if you're setting your panel up to match the diagram.

~Gman

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:13 pm

I seriously messed up somewhere, but I know I decided to have all the oscillators on, and the frequency of those oscillators were set slightly to the right, whereas on the diagram they were straight up.

spaceness

Post by spaceness » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:22 pm

Boeing 737-400 wrote:I know I decided to have all the oscillators on
I figured that was probably the case. Aside from that issue, you are also experiencing the 250 max setting when the patch paremeter shows 255? Have you noticed that on other patches or just the Default Program?

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:40 pm

I remember seeing that problem on several of the patches, I'll have to check later, but I clearly remember one of the knobs only being capable of going up to 247 on one of the patches. As I said I'll have to check them all thoroughly.

SirZebrathe9th

Post by SirZebrathe9th » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:38 am

mine is kinda like that too. on certain patches where the setting is at 255 for the particular knob and and my knob will only go to 254. i dont remember which kob at the moment and i i also have had that flucuating thing where you turn a knob all the way right and ya get that happening.
again i dont remember which knob in particular. Ill go check it out in a bit.
The Point is I know what your talking about dude and its happening with mine. Its very interesting though. i guess thats what happens when you have handmade analog equipment cross bred with the last thing youd think of: an OS and a computer. Digital and analog dont always mix well.

ZEBRA

spaceness

Post by spaceness » Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:25 pm

SirZebrathe9th wrote:i guess thats what happens when you have handmade analog equipment cross bred with the last thing youd think of: an OS and a computer. Digital and analog dont always mix well.

ZEBRA
Yeah, I hear ya. I have the MMV and an Andromeda. It's nice having the modern features like program storage and whatnot, but I'm never 100% comfortable with the cross integration. I worry that some OS bug is going to render my synths useless.

~Gman

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:20 pm

Here is a quick check I did on Preset 51. I'm surprised because I'm sure I got 247 somewhere a few weeks ago. You might want to check yours against this one, and perhaps post your own list for comparison. These are the maximum my knobs go up to.

LFO: 252
Glide Rate: 251

Mod Wheel Amount: 249
Pedal Amount: 254

OSC1 waveform: 250

OSC2 Frequency: 124
OSC2 waveform: 254

OSC3 Frequency: 124
OSC3 waveform: 252

Mixer amount: 249
OSC1 amount: 254
OSC2 amount: 252