Will vintage pitch bend assembly work on the reissue?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Mountain_77

Will vintage pitch bend assembly work on the reissue?

Post by Mountain_77 » Sun May 03, 2020 10:11 pm

I have recently come up on the pitch and mod wheel panel and wheels assembly off a vintage rev2 1974 7 hole minimoog with the solid smooth white non-ribbed wheels. I have always disliked the ribbed wheels (Oreo cookie)that were common on the 9 hole rev3 late 70s minimoogs and also on the reissue. My question is can I straight swap the old wheels for the new on a reissue or is the connection different on a vintage mini vs reissue? By the way I never understand why they put 9 hole rev 3 minimoog ribbed wheels on the reissue when the oscillator boards on a reissue are based on the 7 hole rev 2.

My dream is to have have clear minimoog wheels (rev1) or solid while wheels(rev2) on the reissue. Please let me know if it’s possible.

till

Re: Will vintage pitch bend assembly work on the reissue?

Post by till » Mon May 04, 2020 5:05 am

You can't swap the whole left hand section. it differs very much. But you can use the wheel assembly is self. But you have to desolder the existing one and replace it by the other vintage wheel. But you my try to exchange just the wheel. I never messured the axis diameter of the reissue or a vintage Moog.

But be warned: The left hand section of the Minimoog reissue can't be dismounted the way you done this on a vintage Moog due to the way the user panel ribbon cable and aftertouch ribbon cable is connected to it.

There is a video helping to undo the left hand section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiHztAj7hLE

It is a video manual on how to install the MUSE MIDI Interface with full pitchbend via MIDI function and many more features.

Take care not to do harm to the aftertouch cable. And be sure to put it into place the right way.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16