New features requests

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers

New features requests

Post by 158 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:30 pm

First of all - hats off the the Moog guys for doing such a wonderful job with the Voyager!

Here's a chance to have the Moog guys (and gals) know some of the things we'd like to see in future updates to the Voyager OS.

1. Single patch send / receive.

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:52 pm

I'll second the praise to all the good work done at Moog on the recent Voyager software release. Thanks.

I'm looking for an easily accessible octave transpose function. Perhaps the glide and release switches can double up as octave transposers if initially set to do so in a software option.

moogmusic
Site Admin

Features

Post by moogmusic » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:51 pm

Send and Receive single presets is in the current OS (1.5)
The Octave Transpose is a feature we'll add in a future update.
Thanks for asking!
Moog Music

Re: Features

Post by 158 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

moogmusic wrote:Send and Receive single presets is in the current OS (1.5)

Moog Music
Great!!! :P :)

Moritz Morpheus

Post by Moritz Morpheus » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:12 pm

I´m looking forward to the octave shift function (with which buttons will this be solved?
and I´m joyfully awaiting all the pots sending their midi cc´s to th midi out..

thx for your efforts, moogmusic!
peace, moritz

vanbebberm

Post by vanbebberm » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:51 pm

I would like to see the following:

1.) EP-1 pedal input should not effect the settings unless moved. For example, assigning the pedal to the filter is not useful now, because the Voyager just uses the pedal's current position. I would like it to emulate what the panel controls do, and only effect the parameter it's assigned to when it's moved.

2.) I would love to see even a rudamentary PC-based patch editor for the Voyager. Since it is so painstaking to edit/save/rename/transfer the patches one at a time, it would save many hours of work to do this on a PC editor instead, then just load the bank all at once to the Voyager. This would also help immensely with a Forum soundbank.

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:58 pm

I've re-thought how I would implement the transpose function(see previous post on this thread). Do not use any dedicated switches. Instead I recommend in the Panel mode display that currently allows only selecting a new program have 3 horizontally displayed items under the program name. One is the current selecting of programs . The second would be a transpose octave function, The third is a transpose 1/2 step function. When you cursors over to the transpose item the +/- allows you to transpose the items by an octave or 1/2 step depending on which transpose is selected.

This would all be accessible from the main panel menu. Do not stick this in Panel Functions 1.1 or a new 1.2. Transpose should be immediately accessible without going thru layers underneath the main panel display as this is a real time performance function.

Thanks - I hope someone considers this.

Purusha

Post by Purusha » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:40 pm

Agreed that an octave shift function is vital.

Not exactly sure how I'd like it to work, but however we do it - it'd have to be ergonomic.

Chris

Post by 158 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:37 pm

vanbebberm wrote:I would like to see the following:

1.) EP-1 pedal input should not effect the settings unless moved. For example, assigning the pedal to the filter is not useful now, because the Voyager just uses the pedal's current position. I would like it to emulate what the panel controls do, and only effect the parameter it's assigned to when it's moved.
The only problem I see with this is that the filter would jump to the pedal position when you move it. I have my filter pedal hooked up all the time and program my patches with the pedal closed (back). This way it's very easy to get to the original patch's filter setting.

It might be good to have a programmable filter scale for the pedal.

FreqOut

Post by FreqOut » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:41 pm

I would like to see better control over aftertouch, maybe a menu item that would control the sensitivity... or the ability to patch the lag processor into the aftertouch.

That's all I can think of!
The VOYAGER is AMAZING!!
Great job, Dr. Moog!!!

vanbebberm

Post by vanbebberm » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:11 pm

FreqOut wrote:I would like to see better control over aftertouch, maybe a menu item that would control the sensitivity... or the ability to patch the lag processor into the aftertouch.

That's all I can think of!
The VOYAGER is AMAZING!!
Great job, Dr. Moog!!!
I agree, I would love proportional aftertouch, but as it says in the manual - it's only on or off. There's no proportionality possible with the aftertouch. just on or off. I wish that more of the presets used it though, it's kind of a pain to program it to do vibrato, for instance.
-mike

ksoper

Post by ksoper » Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:04 pm

Years ago Wendy Carlos said that you can never have too many envelope generators. How 'bout an expansion module that added envelopes? Three, maybe?

k.

another fine day

Post by another fine day » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:29 am

Some way of attenuating Osc 3 when it's frequency modulating Osc 1 would open up a whole new palette of interesting (and slightly less hard !) sounds- easy peasy on the next update ?

Separate wave modulation destinations for each oscillator would also be a lot of fun- at the moment any wave modulation is 'unison' on all 3.

it would be nice to be able to modulate the LFO waveshape in some way to get ramp waveforms- you can kind of get something similar using an external gate and a sine wave, but it just ain't the same...

afd

MC

Post by MC » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:07 pm

Some way of attenuating Osc 3 when it's frequency modulating Osc 1 would open up a whole new palette of interesting (and slightly less hard !) sounds- easy peasy on the next update ?
I did that using a mod buss, although it is expo FM as opposed to linear FM with the front panel switch.
Separate wave modulation destinations for each oscillator would also be a lot of fun- at the moment any wave modulation is 'unison' on all 3.
OS v1.5 now has separate waveform modulation for each oscillator but only from the touchpad. The new OS has a lot of nice features.

DanielHuw

Post by DanielHuw » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:29 am

I'd like to see the LFO MIDI clock divider values as note values, as the pitch bend wheel is. I think this is such a great feature of the Voyager and it would make it more musically useful.