New features requests

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
BrianK

Post by BrianK » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:33 am

Octave Switching - a good idea, but it will probably not work well on the Voyager. Both the highest and lowest octaves would not transpose, as the oscillators cannot go much beyond those ranges. Then, if they didn't, people would cry that the transpose "doesn't work". Besides, these are real analog circuits - it's VERY hard to get it to do this range of octaves in tune. Stretching it by 2 or 4 more could extend beyond the range where it tunes accurately.

If you REALLY need this function - you could control the Voyager from any external keyboard and transpose from there. Or just create presets with the transposition and then jump between - no harder than hitting an octave button.

Syncing the 3rd Osc to MIDI (as mentioned in an above posting); cannot be done - none of the three truly analog oscialltors will sync to Midi. It's just the way analog oscillators work...

I love the idea of another expansion module - how about more oscillators and maybe another LFO?

courtney214

Post by courtney214 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:32 pm

I have to admit that I'm really new to synthesis period, so if this idea is not only stupid, but is not even feasible in the first place just blame my ignorance!

However, after receiving my VX-351 today and hooking it up to my voyager via the accessory port I began to think... (yeah, that's usually not good...)

But anyway, I'm like some others who wish for more patch storage. So, I started thinking about the possibility of maybe designing a small patch storage interface that would fit externally on the voyager via the accessory port.

The idea is that this small interface/patch storage thingy would resemble the midi interfaces which mount on PC joystick ports -- minus the cables. These midi interfaces still allow a joystick to be connected though because they normally feature another connector built into the back of the interface itself designed just for this purpose.

So, the logic goes, one could easily mount this little device on the accessory port, yet still be allowed to connect the VX-351 as well via the connector built into the patch interface. It would be a patch "cartridge" of sorts.

Who knows, just an idea...

vanbebberm

When are we going to see this new OS anyways?

Post by vanbebberm » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:11 pm

It has been quite a while since the 1.5 OS came out. When should we expect an update? I am getting a little restless.
-Mike

GregAE

New OS

Post by GregAE » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:52 pm

Let me add my voice to the list of folks clammering for the new update! There are a lot of good ideas proposed in this forum; let's hope that the significant ones are part of the next update and that it arrives soon!

BTW, does anyone from Moog Music respond to these forums?

V/R,
Greg

mmvrs09

Post by mmvrs09 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:37 pm

Well, I'm not sure if this is technically possible without some kind of hardware upgrade, but, It would be amazing if we could have a manual vibrato on the key. I don't know how to explain it, but something to the sort of what the CS-80 had. If you held down a key and jiggled it, you could make a almost "natural" sounding vibrato. That would make the Voyager a lot more expressive, and cool.

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:56 am

mmvrs09 wrote:Well, I'm not sure if this is technically possible without some kind of hardware upgrade, but, It would be amazing if we could have a manual vibrato on the key. I don't know how to explain it, but something to the sort of what the CS-80 had. If you held down a key and jiggled it, you could make a almost "natural" sounding vibrato. That would make the Voyager a lot more expressive, and cool.
The CS-80 had polyaftertouch....you probably saw Vangelis apply it with a "jiggle" motion, but there was no special facility involving lateral motion with the keyboard. Since the Voyager is monophonic, all that would be needed is some adjustment to aftertouch, as previously mentioned here.