Real Time Control with Envelope

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
BravePriestess

Real Time Control with Envelope

Post by BravePriestess » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:50 am

I like to do experiments. I'm trying to find a way to control multiples parameters like the frequency of an LFO or cut of a filter in real time. Of course i can do it in an easy way if i create a macro and assign it to a Midi Controller.

The point is that, i would like to control these things while i'm using my theremin. For example as i move my hands near the antennas to modulate the volume or pitch of the sound i would to variate also the bandwith of a BPfilter with the same envelope that i'm creating with the movement of my hand.

I know that probably this could sound weird...but i'm grateful to anyone that can help me with my weird ideas.

Thank you.

JimF

Re: Real Time Control with Envelope

Post by JimF » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:19 am

Hi BravePriestess,

the easiest way to do this is to use a theremin which puts out control voltages from pitch and volume circuits as well as shaping the theremin's audio signal itself. These CVs can then be used to control anything on a synthesizer which has a CV input (filter cutoff etc). Suitable theremins are, for example, Moog Etherwave Plus, Etherwave Pro, and also Etherwave standard if you build the hotrodding circuits yourself. I can assure you that this works - I use a hottrodded EW and an EW Pro with various CV-controllable synthesizers.

Otherwise, if you're using some other theremin without CV outputs, you could use separate modules (quite a few around) which do envelope following and pitch tracking, converting signal level and pitch to a CV.

Best regards,

Jim F.

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:57 pm

The Moog Theremini is not only a very fine Theremin, it also excels at being able to transmit both user-scalable CVs AND Midi CCs (simultaneously, if desired) from the antennas.
It is also highly configurable on-the-fly via Midi, making it a great controller for experimental and highly customized setups.
Most of these capabilities are under-the-hood features, but the tools are certainly there for those who make the effort to learn and utilize them.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:37 pm

that is good info, thx!!

someday I would love to get a Theremin

ps shouldn't this be in the Theremin thread? might be easier for ppl to find