Punchy Envelope

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Indeed

Punchy Envelope

Post by Indeed » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:36 am

Hi,

I'm looking for a particular sound outta my voyager. Its this high-pitched electro glitch sounding thing you've prolly heard in a lot of old school hiphop and electronica. Anyways, when the sound comes in it needs to PUNCH & hit hard.

I'm finding that the envelopes on my voyager are a little, dare I say 'weak'?
Maybe I'm approaching this process incorrectly. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

:idea:
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:04 am

The last thing id say about the voyager envelopes is that they are weak! They are the punchiest envelopes ive used/heard period. Its capable of anything you can imagine soundwise.

Post us a clip of the sound you are after then us moogers should be able to help.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

GregAE

Re: Punchy Envelope

Post by GregAE » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:20 am

Musashidan wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for a particular sound outta my voyager. Its this high-pitched electro glitch sounding thing you've prolly heard in a lot of old school hiphop and electronica. Anyways, when the sound comes in it needs to PUNCH & hit hard.

I'm finding that the envelopes on my voyager are a little, dare I say 'weak'?
Maybe I'm approaching this process incorrectly. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

:idea:
You can expect that just about everything you hear on a recording has been processed in some way - synths included. While you might get close to a particular sound, don't expect to nail it with just the Voyager alone. For a punchy sound that really hits, try using a compressor on the Voyager.

- G

MC

Post by MC » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:35 am

You can use the old Minimoog feedback trick on the Voyager to get extra punch. Set your VCA EG with sustain less than full, quick attack/mild decay - the peak transient overdrives the audio feedback and provides that punch. I haven't tried it on the Voyager, but it gives the Minimoog a massive punch.

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:18 am

the voyager's envelope send to the filter doesn't quite open it up enough for my tastes, so I often patch the vx351's filter env out back into the voyager's filter in. This allows you to set the filter decay fairly short (much shorter than you can using the envelope on its own) for thuddy, blippy sounds. Makes all the difference, imo...