Minimoog RME freak out and failed OS update help please!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Bhang

Minimoog RME freak out and failed OS update help please!

Post by Bhang » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:58 am

Pulled out my Minimoog Voyager RME yesterday to help deal with this quarantine and I was greeted my scrambled preset names and presets that seemed random. To me this usually indicates that the internal battery used for things like storing presets is running out of juice. I emailed Moog tech support mentioning the battery and asking what type of battery is used and whether it is clipped in or soldered.
The reply was to re-install the OS. This, as it turns out, was not a good idea. I can not successfully re-install the 3.5 update and I have no idea why.
I'm using MacOS 10.12.6 with SysEx Librarian 1.4 and an MPK249 controller as my midi out.
It is sending the data fine but the progress bar never even gets to 1/2 way. I tried slowing down the transmit speed, different buffer sizes, adjusted pause between played messages and nothing so far makes any difference.
I left the unit on overnight as this sometimes helps with issues of this type but to no avail.
I have not heard back again from Moog so I assume it is due to the pandemic. At any rate, I'm hoping the forum is at least active.
Any help would be very much appreciated!!
Bhang

Markyboard

Re: Minimoog RME freak out and failed OS update help please!

Post by Markyboard » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Hi- first I seriously doubt it's a battery issue but for your info it uses a 3032 Li battery. Can you measure the battery voltage for approx 3V with a DVM? If not don't worry about it.

Have you successfully used the Akai MPK249 to update the OS in the past? If not I recommend you find/borrow another midi interface. Other than that I'm not sure what else you can do on your own.

Bhang

Post by Bhang » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:44 pm

Thanks Markyboard,
I never would have expected that but switching to my MOTU allowed me to update to version 3.5 without a hitch.
I still can not transfer the preset bank for some reason but at least I have my OS back.
Thanks

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:10 am

Excellent. I use an old MOTU (MTP-AV) as well. Not sure about loading presets, I never tried but glad you're able to use it to create new ones.