minimoog pitch wheel. I know, not again..

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
PIANODENTIST

minimoog pitch wheel. I know, not again..

Post by PIANODENTIST » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:51 am

Hey guys

Just picked up a reissue model D.

The pitch wheel is really stiff. Like unusable.

I have seen many people mention not liking the lack of centre snap back but is it being super stiff also normal?

the mod wheel is fine but the pitch wheel is stiff to the point that moving it during a performance would be tough

I have seen people have opened it up and removed a nut

Did this solve this problem?

Thanks.

till

Re: minimoog pitch wheel. I know, not again..

Post by till » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:28 am

Yes, it feels like it used to be. And very much like on my 1979 minimoog. Here is my description on how to get there, as it is not as easy as on vintage minimoogs due to the aftertouch ribbon and other boards for the keyboard to CV conversation.
Attachments
Picture of before and after. Notice the bending of the metal piece of the center detent.
Picture of before and after. Notice the bending of the metal piece of the center detent.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:11 pm

The pitch wheel was stiff when I bought my Model D ReIssue. I play the Model D frequently and my play technique involve much use of the wheels. I found out its not that stiff any longer, about similar to my former Model D original.

When I asked Moog about the wacky zero position of the pitch wheel they replied that the kept that fault to be faithful to the original đź‘Ť.

Based on those two things I guess the pitch wheel of the original Model D once up on a time was stiff as well and years of use eat away the stiffness.

till

Post by till » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:47 am

Analog Prophet wrote: ↑Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:11 pm...Based on those two things I guess the pitch wheel of the original Model D once up on a time was stiff as well and years of use eat away the stiffness.
I never had my hands on a new vintage Minimoog. But I bought my 1979 Minimoog in 1983. And the pitchbend wheel was very smooth and did not center well. In those days without internet and synths being not a common thing in music shops, I had no information about the modification to get a dead band (only two diodes needed). So I disabled the pitchbend wheel and put a Moog Liberation ribbon bender on the left side. And switched the places of the two wheels. It has been like this ever since.

I need to built a new housing, as the Mini looked quite well used.

So:
If the wheel gets smoother when using it, the original user must have been a heavy pitchwheel user.
my 1979 minimoog in a self made beech wood housing and with a ribbon bender
my 1979 minimoog in a self made beech wood housing and with a ribbon bender

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:21 pm

My reissue was very stiff when it was straight out of the box (certainly compared with most modern boards), but three years later I’d say it’s perfect!

4dubs

Post by 4dubs » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:49 pm

Slightly off topic, but I hate to start a new thread for this since it's regarding the pitch wheel. Can anyone tell me what the approximate range of pitch bend is on their reissue? Mine is somewhere between 9-10 semitones bending up and between 7-8 semitones bending down . . . not exactly ideal in my opinion. For a while now, I've been very tempted to bite the bullet and order the Muse upgrade, but it's a relatively expensive upgrade for something that I tend to think should have been implemented better on the stock synth in the first place.
Moog: Model D, Voyager, Sub 37, ONE 8V, Minifooger Delay (x2)/DSI: Prophet 6, Pro 2, Prophet REV2 16V/Nord Stage 2 SW73/Studiologic Sledge 2.0 Black/Waldorf Iridium desktop/Arturia Matrixbrute/Behringer Mono/Poly, 2600/Mellotron Micro/Modal Cobalt 8x

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:41 am

4dubs wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:49 pm Slightly off topic, but I hate to start a new thread for this since it's regarding the pitch wheel. Can anyone tell me what the approximate range of pitch bend is on their reissue? Mine is somewhere between 9-10 semitones bending up and between 7-8 semitones bending down . . . not exactly ideal in my opinion. For a while now, I've been very tempted to bite the bullet and order the Muse upgrade, but it's a relatively expensive upgrade for something that I tend to think should have been implemented better on the stock synth in the first place.
Moog has point out they were cling to the original including its shortcomings. I had a synth repair to fix the pitch bend range on my former Model D original and he said it was an easy fix. It should be the same with the Model D Reissue. I have a Muse kit at home but hesitated twice to make the mod due to my limited skills under the hood, but one day I will give it a try - it contain the few things I still wish for of the construction of the great Model D Reissue.

till

Post by till » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:21 am

Analog Prophet wrote: ↑Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:41 am...
I have a Muse kit at home but hesitated twice to make the mod due to my limited skills under the hood, but one day I will give it a try - it contain the few things I still wish for of the construction of the great Model D Reissue.
Try to find a someone with a bit more experience in working with electronics near to your place. It is not that complicated. No soldering. And the manual is well done. I installed two MUSE before, but you are a bit far from my place to give you a helping hand.

Sequence:

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:52 pm

I removed the pitchwheel nut on my reissue, just like Till's picture up above, and it's perfect now

be very careful when you pull it apart, as the aftertouch ribbon is in there & delicate