Minimoog Model D - Which Model/Year is the best?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
TimDuncanMusic

Minimoog Model D - Which Model/Year is the best?

Post by TimDuncanMusic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:28 am

Dear Minimoog Friends,

i have the chance to buy a Minimoog Model D with the Serialnumber: 13040. It is in perfect condition, looks totally clean with no scratches but should cost 4900 USDollar. The Model seems to be later Version and the brown color looks a little bit different than the 1972-1973 Minimoogs, which i would prefer. But i don't know if it is because of the pictures or if there is a difference... Also i heard that the older Version have a slightly better sounds (it depends on what you want i know).
What are you guys think about the Price, what is the normal price for minimoog in 2020 and can anybody tell me something about the color of the later Models? Also can you tell me in which year the minimoog could be manufactured with serialnr.: 13040?

Thank you and best regards,

Tim

till

Re: Minimoog Model D - Which Model/Year is the best?

Post by till » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:26 am

#13040 is made after November 1979. I am not sure if they built them continuously or in batches. Most likely the end control tag is still below the panel housing. That part that can only be seen fro the inside of the back main housing, not on the back where the trimmer holes are.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:32 pm

I was looking at getting an old model D, and I bought a reissue instead

advantages: new keyboard with no gremlins of old age, MIDI, more mod options and the dedicated LFO, which frees up OSC3 to do other cool stuff. it's also nice to have 2 LFO's

apparently the old P&W keybeds play great; but I didn't want to deal with cleaning contacts/refurbishing etc, not to mention old capacitors, noisy pots, and other 50 year old things that could crop up

disadvantages are some of the reissues seem to have problems with the newest firmware: one of the keyboard modes ( the one that approximates the voltage inaccuracies of the originals ), but mine is working fine

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:36 pm

I was looking at getting an old model D, and I bought a reissue instead
Me too, for similar reasons. I’m not interested in maintaining a true vintage synth (just yet anyhow!), I just wanted it to look and sound like one. And it does.

:D

TimDuncanMusic

Post by TimDuncanMusic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:07 pm

@Till: Thank you till! Will see if i can get a picture of the inside aswell.

@ummagumma & @Iaamusic: Hmm from what i just heard on YT and from other guys on this plattform is that the re-issue sound just a little bit more modern. Which i am fine with if it has the same power in the lows like the original. One plus for the re-issue would be that they are cheaper than the old ones and all the avantages ummagumma mentioned. But somehow the old ones just has the little bit of magic about them... But i will look out for the Re-issue. Thanks guys for getting my head around the Minimoog.

One last question: you will probably know what i am about to ask... What about the Behringer Model D or Poly D? I mean the sound seems to be pretty near on the originals but the knobs and everything else is just not the same quality. But for 800 bucks... Whats your opinion on that?

till

Post by till » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:22 am

TimDuncanMusic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:07 pm @Till: Thank you till! Will see if i can get a picture of the inside aswell.
It is not really inside. It is just hidden below the panel lower small side. A little mirror or a smartphone camera help to see it.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:24 pm

if you're thinking of going Behringer, I would wait for the 4 voice full sized one

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:47 am

The Model D was made in 3 revisions of the circuit boards (and some smaller amount of pre revisions before that):
- Rev 1. A bit tuning problems. The first couple thousen serial numbers (not sure exactly)
- Rev 2. The most common revision. I think the Model D reissue is made from this. If I was about to buy an original Model D it would be this revision. Serial number two thousand something up to ten thousand something (not sure exactly).
- Rev 3. Most stable, too stable? Serial number 10175 - 13233.

An excellent page about the Minimoog serials history is here: https://minimoog.monsite-orange.fr/page1/index.html

My Model D choises:

I had a revision 2 before (serial 8545) . It sounded great but had serious tuning problems with one oscillator as well as the whole machine as soon the temperature changed slightly in the room. Had it to the repair shop now and then but it couldn’t be fixed to satisfying. It was sad to have to retune it very frequently at the calibration pots at the read when I should record it. It ended up not using it - very sad.

When the Voyager was released I traded it for a new Voyager. My intension was to replace it with it. Soon I regret it as it didn’t had the Model D sound. Some software worked as substitute, but not very exciting to me. When the Model D reissue was released I had my second chance of a Model D and bought it. I tried to sell the Voyager but had no serious buyers.

Im happy with my new Model D reissue, works like a charm, use it frequently. I wouldn’t trade it for an original Model D with all possible issues, present or upcoming, I had enough with my original Model D. Im happy I still have my Voyager. Now when its not supposed to replace the Model D its a great instrument. Actually it sounds very close to the Model D as well. I cant prove it but in my ears the aging Voyager sounds better (slightly more unstable VCOs) now than when it was new. Maybe just placebo, I dont know. Finally Im happy with my choices.

The Behringer D sounds great, undistinguished to the Moog Model D. The price tag is fantastic. At the same time it doesn't have what Bob Moog mentioned ‘a lot of space between the knobs’ and that great interface that makes a premium instrument to a premium instrument. Its like buying a reproduction of a great painting instead of buying an original painting. It depends of one just want to have something looking beautiful on the wall or if one is an art lover. I like them both but keep my Model D reissue... and the Voyager. After all, to me its a story of passion.
Last edited by Analog Prophet on Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:11 pm

agree: I gained a new appreciation for the Voyager, once I got the D

Hotmoogie

Post by Hotmoogie » Fri May 29, 2020 6:32 am

I own a Minimoog built in 1976 with new Oscillator Bord .
I belive the Mini up SN 7500 would the best in Tune Synthesizer.
I ve importiert it from the USA 2012 in good condition ....
Some Resistors, Clean,Poti, and Condensatores a new.... :mrgreen: