Left hand controller wheels

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Moogmannen

Left hand controller wheels

Post by Moogmannen » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:28 pm

I bought a Minimoog from March 1972 earlier this year.
Its more of a restoration project, the poor synth has seen a lot of abuse.

The pitch and mod wheels are missing. The metal-plate and electronics are there, but not the wheels.
After a bit of research and looking at pictures of other Minis from the same period, I found out that this one probably had the clear acrylic wheels, not the white ones.

I cant seem to find replacements for these anywhere. I am doing a complete restore of this synth, including replacing the controll panel, new wood cabinet, etc. I would be great to have historically correct wheels to.
Does anyone make these, or does anybody have an idea where to ask?

ummagumma

Re: Left hand controller wheels

Post by ummagumma » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:39 pm

I bet those are basically extinct....I'd be inclined to just buy new ones, from Moog.

The wheels in the Matriarch & Grandmother appear identical to the original Model D, and reissue, as far as I can see

Moogmannen

Post by Moogmannen » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:18 pm

The wheels for those synths looks to be identical to the later style Minimoog, but this one used the clear acrylic wheels that were only used for a short period. I have another one from 73 that has the plain white wheels. I think the latest style came in the late 70's.
Im looking for someone who can make replicas of these.

arvsynth

Post by arvsynth » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:32 am

I'm currently drawing them in AutoCad, and I'll send them to the workshop to be made by machining and others by 3D printing. Tell me if you are interested in them. As soon as I have them I can send photos.