Voyager transposing issue

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Tim Webster

Voyager transposing issue

Post by Tim Webster » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:37 am

Hello. New to the forum. Thanks for having me.

I am encountering an issue with a Moog Voyager and transposition, and thought sharing the info I have might help someone else.

I am currently touring with a band, and we run two Voyagers on stage, both of which are played "by hand", and triggered via midi (from an A&B rig running Ableton Live 10, via a MIDI Solutions midi switcher) at various points in the set. One is set to midi ch1, and the other to ch2. The one on ch1 has twice now detuned all 3 oscillators by -2 semitones. Both the midi and keyboard transposition menus show 0 transposing, yet a D key sounds a C note, and so on. Nothing seems to fix this, apart from powering off, disconnecting everything and leaving it 5 mins or so. Obviously non-ideal mid-set.

Whilst troubleshooting this today I established that when I discovered that when I eject an external hard-drive from computer B in my rig it sends a sysex message and 3 pitch messages on ch1. Perhaps this is the cause.

I have now moved the offending Voyager to run on ch3 (hopefully thereby avoiding the sysex), and have taken to unplugging the midi cable when editing on the computers. Obviously, this is a bit of a fudge-fix, but fingers crossed it will stop any nasty surprises. I will report on this if anyone is interested.

As I said, hopefully this info might help someone.

Cheers

Tim

till

Re: Voyager transposing issue

Post by till » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:24 pm

Tim Webster wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:37 am ...
I discovered that when I eject an external hard-drive from computer B in my rig it sends a sysex message and 3 pitch messages on ch1. Perhaps this is the cause.

I have now moved the offending Voyager to run on ch3 (hopefully thereby avoiding the sysex), ...
SysEx is send global, not per MIDI channel. So using a different channel won't help here.
But why does your computer send MIDI when ejecting a hard-drive?
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

MC

Re: Voyager transposing issue

Post by MC » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:03 am

Voyager does have device ID parameter for sysex, but that won't solve the problem.

The best way to solve the problem is a MIDI filter on the output of the computer.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi