Can the main panel of the Voyager be disconnected and used standalone?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Vince Ascoli

Can the main panel of the Voyager be disconnected and used standalone?

Post by Vince Ascoli » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:12 pm

As in, disconnected from the case & keys, and used as a desktop/expander type unit? Can't find the answer to this anywhere, no one seems to know. I have two Voyagers and use them in tandem quite a bit as a two-voice, for me this is a utility thing. I prefer the large panel to the idea of an RME, no disrespect to the RME. Also like having the touch pad available. Does anybody know, yes or no? Thanks! - V
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

till

Re: Can the main panel of the Voyager be disconnected and used standalone?

Post by till » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:52 pm

As we all miss a public Voyager schematic, we can just speculate if this will work or not.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Markyboard

Re: Can the main panel of the Voyager be disconnected and used standalone?

Post by Markyboard » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:56 am

Even with schematics it may not be apparent whether you'll get an error message or not (although doubtful since the RM Voyager uses much of the same circuitry and firmware). I'm sure RL can tell us for certain. Also the keyboard/wheels input lines may need to be terminated or pulled up.

But it should be easy enough to check this out and I don't see it causing any harm. Disconnect the cable coming from the keyboard and wheels going to the digital board and panel and then play some notes via midi.. My guess is you'll just have to apply a pitch CV input so that midi note data transposes correctly.