cool as ice 50th aniversary minimoog voyager edition

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
MC

Post by MC » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:28 pm

anyway, what is the name of the voyager yahoo list?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mmvoyager/

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:03 pm

StefanH wrote:Bull...,
look and read what's here is writen. This yoyager is the same as all others. Except the case and the soundset. Hopefully the new soundset will also posted for all other voyager owners. Maybe together with the new OS.
All i ment in my previous mail was, that i would think about, if there is the option to get the new blue-light-frontplate to build in "older" voyagers, to get it. Still like my handmade walnut case, but, if i like to spent a night with my voyager inside my bed (like boing), it is surpose to give me more erotic feelings.
Indeed. I don't get erotic feelings from the Voyager. But to play with the lights off completely would be awesome. It'll make the gooseneck lamp obsolete. :)

Kevin Bowden

Bed v X-Frame

Post by Kevin Bowden » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:33 pm

I accept that I'm possibly a late developer, but am I the only person visualizing wife/girlfriend on the X-Frame and giving the bed over to the MMV :)

TonyR

Post by TonyR » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:41 pm

ahhahahhahahhaahhaa

StefanH

Post by StefanH » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:09 am

space_is_the_place wrote:I think it is just a voyager (good old analog) with new exterior and more presets, but do u think it gets better warranty deal like the sig, too?...
anyway, what is the name of the voyager yahoo list?
i did a search and all i cud find is the lord of the mini.
thanks

Why do you think that this Version got more presets?
At the moment, as you can see at the "Software-Page" this Voyager is using the same OS as ours...
But, they think about to expand the preset-memory if there is enough space left after all other important things are implemted to the OS (like controller midi sents).
512 Sounds inside Voyager splitted in four banks would be usefull (for me).
Stefan

SirZebrathe9th

Post by SirZebrathe9th » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:40 pm

512 presets would be nice, but would it be possible?

MC

Post by MC » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:46 pm

512 presets?

Trust me, that's MORE than enough for a monophonic. I have a Moog Source with the Encore Electronics MIDI interface that expands the memory from 16 to 256 programs. I've had the MIDI interface since 1990, and I still haven't filled all 256 programs yet.

512 presets would be practical for a multitimbral polyphonic, but I think it's overkill for a monophonic.

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:18 pm

It sort of boggles my brain trying to figure out how they implemented the backlit panel. My performer is just a sticker over the metal chasis, perhaps the 'cheapest' part of the manufacture on the voyager. My plan would have been an anodized, rough surface with painted markings, like an old modular synth. Anyways, back to the point on hand. Did they put a clear panel where our Vgers are solid metal and a sticker with transparent written sections? Looks cool, but I'm wondering what would be modified on a vanilla Vger to get the lights through. I might feel uncomfortable knowing the structural integrity of the front panel had been tampered with in some way. Not that I plan on dropping my Voyager anytime soon mind you... I just like knowing its tough as nails.

Bottomline, my guess here is that the casing for the guts on the 50th is a different beast. I would doubt that, short of an actual swap of front panels that your vanilla Vger will ever see the light of the backlit panel.

And as for 'based on Alesis VA'? uhh... no. This is not a knock on Alesis, I personally like their current products, but really, thats like saying, 'the new porsche is actually going to use a Ford engine.' Companies like Moog and Porsche pride themselves of having a unique and high quality product, built at a premium cost for the discerning taste. Its not about putting in a low cost, licensed product from another company to move units, I mean, how would that in any way shape or form celebrate 50 years of Moog? If you own a Voyager, I should hope you understand what you've paid so much for! Now make sure to turn it on, take it for a whirl, smile uncontrollably, then go brag to at least three friends about it (again) today :O)

K.

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:16 am

You know i think the black look is really cool, it looks like it's really smooth and shiny. It reminds me of a piano or an old RCA theremin. if anything looks tacky it's the blue lights (i think they look cool but I can imagine they'd get really anoying after a while (can you turn them off?)
I plan on getting a voyager soon (i ache all over not having one) i think I'll get the performer though (looks more dignified) but I don't know I don't think anyone can really give a helpful opinion unless they've seen it in the flesh (or should I say "in the backlight front panel")

SirZebrathe9th

Post by SirZebrathe9th » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:30 am

i dont know if you can but you should be able to, but my guess is thats the lights are always on. I still think its kinda cool though,never seen a company manufacture a synth like that before. I mean it really is meant to be played and used in the dark. ive never heard of a company addressing this particular issue for musicians on dark stages and dark rooms. in this way. Its better than glow in the dark labeling and the gooseneck lamp.

Thats all well and good but i dont want to see too much more of this
"different versions of the same instrument that are really only cosmetically different" type stuff from moog.
I dont want no gingerbread, i want some meat and potatoes, like a five course meal of salsbury steak and carne asada burritos, ice cold horchata, a blunt in my hand, and fine lady in my lap.

But seriously What i really want to see them do is a brand new synthesizer or maybe a even sequencer. that would even be cooler than the stupid cool blue light up light dealies.

ZEBRA

MC

Post by MC » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:58 am

Yes the backlit blue lights can be turned off.
i dont want to see too much more of this "different versions of the same instrument that are really only cosmetically different" type stuff from moog.
Gibson and Fender have been doing it for years. Even Korg, Yamaha, Kurzweil, and Roland have made same model synths with different cosmetics. Why not Moog? Lighten up.

SirZebrathe9th

Post by SirZebrathe9th » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:30 am

MC wrote: Gibson and Fender have been doing it for years. Even Korg, Yamaha, Kurzweil, and Roland have made same model synths with different cosmetics. Why not Moog? Lighten up.

i am being light, ....ohhh wait... i just got your pun.

i shoulda said: to the best of my knowledge i havent seen a company do the light up thing with the keyboard, adressing the whole issue of musicians in dark places with bad eyesight. cuz thats what i meant and thought that i typed.

I didnt mean not ever seeing a company do different cosmetic releases of the same instrument, i have seen that before. MOog could put out a diffferent looking voyager every year till they exist no more, and id be happy, as long as they introduce something new in there, like a brand new synth or sequencer especially. All theys gotsa do is squeeze it in there between all the limited edition voyagers they push out the door in north carolina.

by no means am i hater i was trying to elaborate on my opinion, which is only positive of moog music. Maybe its you who should be the one to lighten up. ..i do not really care if you dont though, ill still like you.
:D

ZEBRA

sjm

Post by sjm » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:11 am

At first I thought it looked cool with all the fancy blue lighting but then I realised all this just takes away that classic Moog look. The standard Voyager is nice and kind of retro-looking but I still think the plain old Model D looks the best as there is only one light on it - the Power LED!

If anyone doesn;t like black, you can get the new Anniversary model in maple from http://www.bigcitymusic.com in LA. They say they're the ONLY place in the world to take delivery of the maple Anniversary edition. Much better than black I reckon!

monads

Post by monads » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:13 pm

It appears from the website you can convert existing Performer Voyagers to the Anniversary for about $300-400 depending on if you want to keep your existing cabinet or not. Now it makes me wonder how special the Anniversary really is.

SirZebrathe9th

Post by SirZebrathe9th » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:36 pm

hey monads what website? bigcitymusic or moogmusic?