Voyager aftertouch fix

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:01 pm

Just got the new Moog aftertouch field upgrade newsletter and it says at the bottom that it's a limited time offer. AAAARRRGGGGHHH!!! :roll:

I just got a CP-251, 101, and 102 from Ebay and I won't have the funds for the field upgrade for awhile. Hopefully Moog will reconsider making it available for a longer time.

Also, if Moog knows how to fix the filter glide issue, why not let us know for sure that we can get it done if we send it in. I remember someone here posting that Moog will fix the filter glide if you send it in.

gd

Post by gd » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:09 pm

I tried to order the field upgrade from Canada but it wouldn't let me - also why do we have to buy the wheels (maybe I'm just tired and didn't read the whole msg. thoroughly)
Mini D, P'08 ..

ARP

Post by ARP » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:59 am

Yes Moog will do the filterglide mod if you send them your voyager..
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

MFenkner

Post by MFenkner » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:48 am

I don't understand the whole grey wheels or blue wheels option with the aftertouch fix. Does the aftertouch circuity reside on the same board as that the wheels are mounted on? If you already have blue wheels, do you need to pay the extra money for the blue wheel kit? I think Moog needs to clarify this so people know what to order.

Thanks.

Mark

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:29 am

The aftertouch mechanism is involved with the left-hand controllers, so there is an opportunity to change out the wheels while they are fixing it. Also, I have learned (and now the website states) that the reason the field upgrade is more expensive than the factory upgrade is that to make the field upgrade feasable, the entire LH controller has to be replaced. For the factory fix, all they are changing is one board, but this appears to be a more complex procedure that doesn't lend itself to a field fix.
Last edited by Marzzz on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monads

Post by monads » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:19 pm

ARP wrote:Yes Moog will do the filterglide mod if you send them your voyager..
So when you send your voyager to them, do you just include a little note, email or what to make sure this actually gets done with the after-pressure mod? I'm confused by the filterglide mod now. If I send my voyager in I obvioulsy want it all taken care of when it's there on the bench being operating on.

ARP

Post by ARP » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:59 pm

Yes, you have to ask for the filter glide mod, i've spoke with Amos at
Moog Music, who told me he can do this when i send my voyager in for the
3x. hardware upgrade, and now the after touch fix...i'm waiting for an authorization from Moog so i can send it in. I guess their pretty busy with requests on the aftertouch fix as well as trying to crank out the little phatty orders..hopefully they'll be in touch soon and i can get my voyager in for these upgrades...

ARP

Post by ARP » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:05 pm

To be more specific..when you fill out the online request to send in your Moog ..(you have to register your voyager first) you'll be prompted to type in what repair - upgrade etc. you want...it says that someone from moog will get back to you with an authorization number to ship your voyager back to them..

gd

Post by gd » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:19 am

for those of us not in the US I am hoping that we can send our Voyagers into an authorized repair service center. If so I'll get both the aftertouch and glide fix done right away.
Mini D, P'08 ..

MC

Post by MC » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:28 pm

I ordered the field upgrade aftertouch fix. When it arrives and I get some flight time, I'll report.

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:37 am

WTF over???

I looked at the field upgrade LAST WEEK and it was $400US including the v3.x upgrade.

Today it's $450????

WTF is going on??????

And can the glide fix only be done with a return to the factory?????????????

$185 to fix poor design seems a bit steep to me.

And what's the extra $50 for this week???

Looks a lot more like Mike Dell support than Robert Moog.

MFenkner

Post by MFenkner » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:40 am

I spoke to a nice woman at Moog Music today and she clarified a couple of things for me.

First, for the field upgrade, if you have Blue Wheels already you need to buy the Blue Wheels Upgrade kit since the wheels are mounted on the left-hand controller.

Second, I confirmed that the Filter Glide fix is available. Of course the Voyager must be shipped back to the factory, but apparently there is no charge at this time.

I figure I might as well ship my Voyager back to get both things done.

Mark

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:01 am

Got mine and installed it last night. Very easy to install. Came with an instruction manual on CD. Very detailed instructions for installation and calibration with photos. I had the blue wheels and so got them again...they are "frosted" on the tops now which is nice. The board itself looks nice...if you're into that sort of thing ;-) Overall a nice, simple, welcome modification.

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:51 am

MFenkner wrote:BTW, did you notice in the aftertouch demo videos the rack of Moogerfoogers behind the Voyager? It looked like a nice custom stand for the Voyager and MFs. Moog should start selling something along those lines ;-)
Lots of request for those Custom Neo Modular cases.. They are made by a Moog Music Employee.. When asked if he wanted to manufacture them for sale, he opted not to.. I guess they are a lot of work, very heavy and nearly impossible to ship... Moog used huge shipping crates when bringing those things to NAMM in Anaheim... They are really great stands...

I bet you could request the dimensions (or plans) and build it yourself.. Since Moog has no plan to build em for sale, it should be like public domain :) GREG AE could hunt the plans down and put em on Squarewave!!
http://www.thevoltperoctaves.com

http://www.myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves

http://www.moogmusic.com/artists/?cat_id=28

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:53 pm

OK, I have an early Signiture Edition with the pitchbend problem.

Does anyone know whether upgrading the Aftertouch will fix this problem? 

Will I be able to recalibrate after I have installed the field kit and have equal bend range on both the pitch up and pitch down?

Could be a useful mod for us early adopters.

Mal
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition