Oldschool mods + vx351 = no drilling??

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Ljudmakaren

Oldschool mods + vx351 = no drilling??

Post by Ljudmakaren » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:27 am

Hi!
I’m intrigued by the Don Solaris mods, the filter pole and the pwm seems awesome but the drilling is not that fun. Therefore my question.

Is it possible to route the connections for the touch pad on the VX (which is obsolete in the OS) to the connections for modification inside the OS?

I mean there’s probably cables running between the VX and the OS that just doesn’t connect to anything inside the OS. In that case shouldn’t it be possible to put switches and rotaries on the VX instead of on the OS?

Or am i crazy? :D

stiiiiiiive

Re: Oldschool mods + vx351 = no drilling??

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:43 am

Makes sense :)

The connections on the DB connector inside the Voyager are unused, I suppose. They are as many oportunities for switches or potentiometers :)

Markyboard

Re: Oldschool mods + vx351 = no drilling??

Post by Markyboard » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:39 am

It's a good thought. I'll assume you are correct regarding the internal connectivity of the TS (Touch Surface) signals and can connect/solder them internally to your desired destination. The VX351 jacks are meant to be outputs which are protected with termination resistors. The Voyager uses an adapter plug for this but if memory serves the OS has these built in. You would be injecting a CV on the "wrong" side of this termination resistor, however these termination resistors are intended to protect the controller source output which in this case doesn't exist so maybe no problem. But you should account for these resistors in designing whatever circuit you're using as an alternate controller. A switch or pot in itself isn't going to do much for you ; you need some kind of active device i.e. amplifier/buffer stage to create a usable CV. Or try routing one of the other VX351 outputs into one of these TS jacks and see what happens.