Simple Voyager Mod

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Markyboard

Simple Voyager Mod

Post by Markyboard » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:25 pm

I modified my Voyager today such that the Headphone Output (left side only) is fed back to the External Input with no external cabling required. I believe it's either the re-issue or the Boog that does this and I really like this idea. I'm also going to do this to my orig Model D next time I'm working on it. It just takes a couple of wires and swapping out the External Input jack for a switching (shorting) jack (so I thought). Unfortunately I discovered the Voyager jacks are mounted on a PCB as opposed to being panel mounted like the Model D. Damn, I have plenty of switch panel mount jacks on hand. When I finally found a part on line that might work I took a close look at the External Input Jack and took an ohm meter to it. Turns out it is a switching jack. In fact all the back panel jacks are switching jacks. YAY!

Knowing this it just took cutting one trace and soldering 2 wires from the on-board headphone connector (or front panel jack) to the switching jack. And that's it - pretty simple.

This is right underneath the External Input Jack:
The on-board headphone plug:
And finished:

I emailed Rudi prior to doing this - we'll see if he scolds me for forgetting something (protection circuit maybe?). Btw I'll be using the right side of the Headphone output for driving other effects using a TRS to TS cable.

Markyboard

Re: Simple Voyager Mod

Post by Markyboard » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Wow it's really dead around here. Oh well, after better than a week of experimenting I think I nailed the best configuration for getting some nice distortion/overdrive using a controlled feedback sound from the Voyager. Either one by itself is kind of unfulfilling but running just the right amount of feedback sound from the Voyager into the Empress is wonderful. I'm using my MP-101 to control the modwheel and assigning it to the external input level with pot mapping. The Moog Boost is controlling the amount of the fed-back signal into the Empress drive. The output is fed into the Midi Murf used statically (i.e. no LFO pattern clocking) for additional drive and eq. Fun stuff.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:32 am

Hi Markyboard,

If you haven't tried it, the Empress ParaEQ is simply the most sonically elegant EQ pedal I've ever used.

It has so much noiseless Boost and Cut power on the three bands that you can basically bend a timbre to your will.

Then you have 30dB of foot-switchable clean Boost after that.

https://empresseffects.com/collections/ ... cts/paraeq
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:28 pm

Cool Dan - I will definitely give it a try when the opportunity presents itself. Thanks!

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:08 pm

I posted a sound clip here demoing the signal chain and putting each piece into bypass mode to show the affect. Lots of variation to be had in how the Voyager is programmed as well as the drive level for each effect. When dealing with feedback simple waveform - even single oscillator is plenty. Also interesting how the VCA envelope affects the sound - not the expected results but such is the nature of feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/markyboard/voyager-destroytion

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:34 pm

neat mod, thx for posting it!

I find it pretty easy to just use a short 1/4" cable. in fact I usually leave it in there ( right channel output-->ext audio in )

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:17 pm

Yeah, this isn't exactly Nobel Prizing winning stuff. I just figured if you're going to feedback using the HP output this is a bit safer ( i.e. not forgetting to use TRS). I like to retain the stereo config for the Voyager and the HP does give some extra gain. Also using the HP output give you some more flexibility since adjusting the Main Output does not effect the feedback level. But whatever works.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:50 pm

ah, interesting, good points!

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:05 am

Well Umma, you actually got me experimenting some more this week. Turns out using the Headphone output for both the Voyager feedback and driving the Empress is kind of restrictive. The Empress wants a certain optimal signal level for each of it's modes and doesn't necessarily match up with the "right" amount for good feedback. Also putting the VCA before the Empress defeats getting that optimal signal level as well. So I'm back to Mixer send >>Reamp >>Empress >>VCA>> Midi Murf.

Still experimenting but now with the right adjustments I'm getting unique flavors from the Empress depending on whether I'm using Fuzz, overdrive or distortion.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:34 am

cool, thx for posting an update!

I still haven't gotten around to building a proper Y cable to split the send/return, as described in Knobtweaks yahoo group docs

that should open up a lot of possibilities, too

ps is that a MEMORYMOOG I see, in the pic above???

drooling...was just watching Marc Doty's great youtube explanation of how those work