Voyager XL Mods

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
wavebreak

Voyager XL Mods

Post by wavebreak » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:35 pm

Anyone have any suggestions about mods done at the factory for a Voyager XL? I saw a couple listed on the Moog site for the Voyager, but not anything for the XL. I've read on here about the slew mod that sounds very cool. I don't know if that's a factory mod or not. The XL is going in for repair anyways so it would be nice to do a little something since it will be there.

Also I noticed one of the Voyager mods was retuning which got me wondering about how well Voyagers / XL keep their tuning and if that is something you can do yourself.

Appreciate any feedback!

Analog Prophet

Re: Voyager XL Mods

Post by Analog Prophet » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:15 am

Some years ago the Swedish Moog agency told me that they “ofcourse make the slew rate mod as it is a factory mod” but they had not made it before and had to check with Moog HQ. I heard nothing back from them and I let it fade away. If its a factory mod its strange Moog has not, at least what I have noticed, anounced it as availeble at moogmusic.com

wavebreak

Post by wavebreak » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:04 am

Interesting, well it does sound like it's a factory mod at least. It's too bad there isn't a more comprehensive list of what all can be done for each model. It would be really cool to see what all the options are and what kind of mods have been done by the pros.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:06 pm

I plan to mod my XL by adding a "spacing" CV input control on the patch panel

possibly a "resonance" as well

but there isn't enough room for two holes & preserving the text + white outline around the inputs

So for aesthetics I might just do "spacing" as it would look more stock

wavebreak

Post by wavebreak » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:49 pm

Oooh, that would be a nice addition to have spacing and resonance patchable. I can imagine some really cool sounds using those. It is a good point about the real-estate on the front panel, it would be a shame to lose that aesthetic. I could see using the back panel, but you'd lose a lot in the usability department. Then with patch cable extenders coming up to the front it might get pretty janky.

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:44 pm

ummagumma wrote:I plan to mod my XL by adding a "spacing" CV input control on the patch panel

possibly a "resonance" as well

but there isn't enough room for two holes & preserving the text + white outline around the inputs

So for aesthetics I might just do "spacing" as it would look more stock
I have always wished Spacing was a CV input jack.
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:17 pm

yes I agree 100% !!

seems obvious, and a powerful way to modulate without tying up MOD1 or 2...or using knob assignment. surprised they didn't include it

if I get it working, I will be sure to post details. too many projects on the go ATM though :(