Moog Music Forum

Share Ideas and Pass the word

Voyager XL Broken LFO2?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers

Voyager XL Broken LFO2?

Postby wavebreak » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Hello all,

I think my LFO2 on the Voyager XL may have stopped working correctly for some reason. Whenever I connect the +, - out (or the attenuator 1 with no input) into a destination like VCA volume in, Filter cutoff in, etc, the red LFO2 blinks for a moment, then just goes out. Sometimes it works alright for a few seconds then drops off again. I've tried all the types of output, but the light never works consistently.

For example I set the type to a basic triangle wave (far left setting for the knob) and connect the + LFO 2 out to the VCA volume in. Then I sweep the LFO2 rate knob, sometimes the red light goes on for a little while then it cuts out. The volume follows the red light, so when the red light does start blinking I can hear the note I'm holding down, but most of the time it's just silent. The expected behavior is once the + LFO2 out is connected to a valid input that the light on the LFO2 will blink and behavior similar to the LFO1 red light. Also I've disconnected all other patch cables, midi cables, etc.

I checked a video on youtube and the LFO2 light was pulsing consistently as expected.

I've tried to factory reset and restarting it, but nothing seems to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas of things to try? I really hope I don't need to send it off for repairs. :cry:

Thanks a lot for any input!
wavebreak

Re: Voyager XL Broken LFO2?

Postby Markyboard » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:00 am

I don't have an XL but being very familiar with the Voyager and CP-251 I think you may have a hardware issue. LFO 2 is a stand-alone circuit and doesn't interact with the firmware or anything else internal to the machine other than power and attenuator 1. I assume the LFO2 red led blinks as expected with nothing hooked up to its output?

Things to try:
Change the amount and offset of attenuator 1
Connect up the LFO2 CV input to something (like a foot pedal) and see if that has any affect.

If no luck then yeah - probably needs a repair.
Markyboard

Postby wavebreak » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks for your response. Now the LFO2 light never comes on at all. I tried connecting a pedal to the cv rate and nothing happens. Same for changing the attenuation. I've gone though all the source types and all the rates many times. I think it's time for a repair... At least it's still under warranty and maybe there's some interesting mod I can have installed at the same time. Thanks again for the input.
wavebreak

Postby ear » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:03 pm

I have the same problem on my Voyager XL.
LFO 2 is totaly independent of the rest of Voyager.
I think it's controlled by its own microcontroller (with an analog shaper) and there's a bug on time management.
Sending a MIDI clock unlocks LFO 2 for me, and after it work correctly.
Tell me if it works on your XL?
ear

Postby wavebreak » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:09 pm

Very interesting, that does fix it as long as it's receiving a midi clock. However the moment there isn't a midi clock received it's totally dead again. The red LFO2 light never comes back and it ceases to function so basically I always need to have a midi clock going to it when I want to use LFO2. Not ideal, but I don't think it will mess up anything else in my setup.

Thanks a lot for the info! :D
wavebreak

Postby baldur » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:21 am

I've got the same issue.
This bonus would be cool to get. I consider cheltenhamfestivaluk com history to be one of the best around. I'm absolutely positive about that. Right now I'd like to find more info about it.
baldur

Return to Minimoog Forum