Update to OS 3.x.x on non hardware upgraded SE

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
mee3d

Update to OS 3.x.x on non hardware upgraded SE

Post by mee3d » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:19 pm

I just got my SE out of storage after it being a year in a lock-up in London . . I know, shocking but you wouldn't believe what has happened in my life over the last year. Anyway, I want to upgrade the OS to the latest version and just wanted to confirm this before I do it.

I have a factory standard SE#86 @ OS2.5, am I right in understanding that I can upgrade to the latest OS3.2 and all the new operating features will work but as I don't have the v3 hardware upgrade I won't naturally get the extra patch storage?

Is that the only limitation without the hardware upgrade?

In upgrading, will I muck something up that might effect some of the hardware issues of the early SE's? Mine does not suffer from the noise at vol 5 problem, or the touchpad failure . . I think I have a good one (other then the wonky pitchbend which I can live with) . . will I break something by upgrading?

Thanks for your help guys

Mal
(studio is now up and running again . . yay!).
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

gd

Post by gd » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:47 pm

I updated my old board, and all worked well. I have the new expanded bd. in now and have yet to update it to 3.2 will likely get that done this wknd.
Mini D, P'08 ..

till

Post by till » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:02 pm

... I have a factory standard SE#86 @ OS2.5, am I right in understanding that I can upgrade to the latest OS3.2 and all the new operating features will work but as I don't have the v3 hardware upgrade I won't naturally get the extra patch storage?

Is that the only limitation without the hardware upgrade? ...
yes !
I got only a single bank Voyager, but the 3.x OS versions were all running fine here. And all features work fine here. Only 6 banks of sound storage are missing.

We have to thank Rudi for doing it this user friendly way.
Some other might have done it so, that the newer OS features were asking for the new digital board just to sell them better.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:18 pm

Hi Mal,

Hop over to the SquareWave site and download a copy of the OS 3.2 Menu Reference page. It will show you at a glance where everything is in the PANEL, EDIT and MASTER menus.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/

Here's the path to the document:

SquareWave/Files/Voyager Reference Pages/OS3_2 Menu Reference.zip

Regards,

Greg

ukm

Post by ukm » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi,
I updated my AE from version 2.5 a while ago with no problems. May be a good idea to search the forum - there are some special details that are to be considered.
Again, thanks to Rudi and the team.

ukm

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:54 pm

Thanks guys.

I have been out of the loop for a bit . . otherwise I would have known all this already!

Updated on Friday to 3.2 and all went fine . . had the random display and noise on the compare function but worked out how to sort it . . . took myself off to squarewave, thanks for that Greg! (and thanks for the organised patches).

Busy servicing all my moogs now as they have all been in storage . . great fun . . really missed playing this last year.

Mal
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:06 am

Mal - if you have custom presets on your V'ger, back them up (dump SysEx file to computer) if you can before updating the OS. The update from v2.x to v3.x will scramble the patch memory, as the new OS stores patches in a different manner than before (to allow for the extra banks, you see). If you have no custom patches saved, then don't worry about it, just download the bank of your choice from moogmusic.com or from the Squarewave site and load it in after the OS update.

Cheers,

Amos