Model D reissue pitch CV input calibration?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
GooberNumber9

Model D reissue pitch CV input calibration?

Post by GooberNumber9 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:03 pm

I thought I might sequence my Model D reissue from my Mother 32 using pitch and gate CV. I quickly discovered that the pitches being played by the Model D were off, so I started to investigate.

After much testing, I've determined that applying 1.00 V (double checked with a reasonably good VOM) to the pitch CV input on the Model D increases the pitch about 60 cents short of a full octave. 60 cents flat/octave is definitely noticeable.

The back panel oscillator calibration for the Model D does not seem to be anything that would help, since that seems to be meant to tune and scale the oscillators to each other and the internal keyboard.

Is there anyway to calibrate the pitch CV input?

To be clear, applying 0.00 V to the pitch CV does not change the note at all (as desired), so an inline amp or attenuator won't help (and I tried both before really getting into the research). I suppose an "amp" that scales voltages around a 0 V center point and adds more to the voltage the farther away the input is from 0 would help.

noddyspuncture

Re: Model D reissue pitch CV input calibration?

Post by noddyspuncture » Tue May 08, 2018 12:52 pm

How are the octaves when playing it's own keyboard...?

Cheers,
Tom

GooberNumber9

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:47 pm

noddyspuncture wrote:How are the octaves when playing it's own keyboard...?
No problems at all when playing from the internal keyboard.

Errr.. on either the Model D or the Mother 32.

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Thu May 10, 2018 3:30 am

Are you sure the source of the problem is the input of the Minimoog and not the device that send the CV signal or a faulty cable?

GooberNumber9

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:52 pm

Analog Prophet wrote:Are you sure the source of the problem is the input of the Minimoog and not the device that send the CV signal or a faulty cable?
Yes. All of that is encapsulated in the beginning of my second paragraph above - "after much testing". I spent about a week and $50 on a new multi-meter working on this before coming here.