Moog Music Forum

Share Ideas and Pass the word

Just got a Minimoog Voyager!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers

Re: Just got a Minimoog Voyager!

Postby IgorCristo » Thu May 03, 2018 5:13 pm

Hey guys, I’m kind of sad now..... I’ve just perceived some kind of oscillator leakage on the left channel with the filter totally closed. I don’t know if this is a miscalibration thing or really a problem, but either way, I’d have to open my Minimoog to adjust something or send the boards to Moog Music.

I’ll search more information on this forum about it, hoping for the best. Already contacted Moog Music, I’ll wait for a response tomorrow... I know I shouldn’t, but I’m really worried. Sending this from Brazil will be tough.
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue
IgorCristo
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Just got a Minimoog Voyager!

Postby IgorCristo » Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 am

I’m back!

Yes, the small oscillator leak continues, but I’m not actually really worried about it, as it seems simple to solve with some calibration on a VCA trimmer (according to Adam and also a friend of mine that works with electronics and builds his own synths as a hobby). I’m currently waiting for Moog to share with me which trimmer controls this VCA I need to adjust.

Here’s my baby...
Image

Wanted to share with you a simple video that I did, tweaking some sounds on the fly, trying to show what the Voyager can do. It’s a long video, but I actually liked the result, even though it’s not exactly a musical video. I didn’t find any video like this one when I was lusting pretty hard for the Voyager, so I thought that maybe it would be nice to make one myself.

Here’s the video...
https://youtu.be/48_7sLObSKk

Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue
IgorCristo
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Just got a Minimoog Voyager!

Postby Analog Prophet » Thu May 10, 2018 2:21 am

Nice video, thank you fore sharing! The Voyager sounds great, looks great, is great and I love it!
_____________________________________________
http://www.soundofmusic.se
User avatar
Analog Prophet
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:25 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Just got a Minimoog Voyager!

Postby Markyboard » Thu May 10, 2018 7:56 am

IgorCristo wrote:I’m back!

Yes, the small oscillator leak continues, but I’m not actually really worried about it, as it seems simple to solve with some calibration on a VCA trimmer (according to Adam and also a friend of mine that works with electronics and builds his own synths as a hobby). I’m currently waiting for Moog to share with me which trimmer controls this VCA I need to adjust.



Adjust trimmer RP8 (analog board).
Markyboard
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:46 pm
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: Just got a Minimoog Voyager!

Postby IgorCristo » Thu May 10, 2018 9:26 am

Analog Prophet wrote:Nice video, thank you fore sharing! The Voyager sounds great, looks great, is great and I love it!

Thanks. I couldn’t agree more... what an incredible instrument!

Markyboard wrote:Adjust trimmer RP8 (analog board).

It seems that this trimmer is the overall output adjustment, isn’t it? I received the calibration manual but didn’t want to open the thing before being 100% sure of what I need to adjust, so I can do it only once.

The question is: isn’t there any other trimmer related to VCA stuff that isn’t documented in the calibration manual? I wonder simply because the leak is single sided (left output), and not on both.

Thank you for your input.
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue
IgorCristo
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Just got a Minimoog Voyager!

Postby Markyboard » Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 am

IgorCristo wrote:
Analog Prophet wrote:Nice video, thank you fore sharing! The Voyager sounds great, looks great, is great and I love it!

Thanks. I couldn’t agree more... what an incredible instrument!

Markyboard wrote:Adjust trimmer RP8 (analog board).

It seems that this trimmer is the overall output adjustment, isn’t it? I received the calibration manual but didn’t want to open the thing before being 100% sure of what I need to adjust, so I can do it only once.

The question is: isn’t there any other trimmer related to VCA stuff that isn’t documented in the calibration manual? I wonder simply because the leak is single sided (left output), and not on both.

Thank you for your input.


There are no other VCA trimmers. I suspect the filters are slightly different with tolerances and such. This would explain why you only hear the bleed through one side.I assume your sound is in dual low-pass mode.
Markyboard
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:46 pm
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: Just got a Minimoog Voyager!

Postby IgorCristo » Thu May 10, 2018 11:21 am

Markyboard wrote:There are no other VCA trimmers. I suspect the filters are slightly different with tolerances and such. This would explain why you only hear the bleed through one side.I assume your sound is in dual low-pass mode.

Thanks a lot! That's good news for me then... I'm waiting for my multimeter to arrive, then I'll get it done with (the opening and adjusting thing).

I'm not in exactly in a hurry - it's just a detail. It just sings so nicely that I overcame this annoyance quite quickly. :D
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue
IgorCristo
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Just got a Minimoog Voyager!

Postby ummagumma » Fri May 11, 2018 11:22 pm

IgorCristo that was a really good vid, thx for posting!
User avatar
ummagumma
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: Just got a Minimoog Voyager!

Postby IgorCristo » Sun May 13, 2018 6:36 pm

ummagumma wrote:IgorCristo that was a really good vid, thx for posting!

Thanks! I’m glad you enjoyed it! :)
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue
IgorCristo
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Just got a Minimoog Voyager!

Postby IgorCristo » Mon May 21, 2018 10:21 pm

I’m back to share another video... quite simple and small this time.

https://youtu.be/oPuxgjod3vU
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue
IgorCristo
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Just got a Minimoog Voyager!

Postby Analog Prophet » Tue May 22, 2018 2:51 am

Great video again. Nice to start with one oscillator and double it up with a second slight detuned oscillator the second time of the theme. It’s my taste, I love playing the Voyager just through a long verb and get lost. Thanks for sharing!
_____________________________________________
http://www.soundofmusic.se
User avatar
Analog Prophet
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:25 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Just got a Minimoog Voyager!

Postby IgorCristo » Thu May 24, 2018 7:53 am

Analog Prophet wrote:Great video again. Nice to start with one oscillator and double it up with a second slight detuned oscillator the second time of the theme. It’s my taste, I love playing the Voyager just through a long verb and get lost. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks once again! Yes, on the second time around I add not only the second, but also the third oscillator to the mix, and it sounds gorgeous. I’m totally in love with this instrument. It’s just beautiful, really clean sound. Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue
IgorCristo
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Just got a Minimoog Voyager!

Postby ummagumma » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:08 am

yeah nice!

a bit too much 'verb for my tastes, but you do say "drenched in EHX cathedral" so i guess it's appropo :D
User avatar
ummagumma
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:37 pm

Previous

Return to Minimoog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests