Tips for Beginners -- such as Myself and Boeing

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
courtney214

Tips for Beginners -- such as Myself and Boeing

Post by courtney214 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:43 pm

Boeing,

After re-reading many of your posts, and, visiting your website, I think I now understand better why you seem to be on a different level than most of the rest of the other users here.

Now, hear me out, I am not being offensive, nor sarcastic -- this time. So anyway, I was just thinking about if I were in your shoes, given the info. that I have about you (from your posts, topics, and website), then what would be my reality? And my reality would be that I would have one awesome, and expensive piece of equipment, bearing a legendary name, and I would be proud of it and want to talk about it, I suppose. Yet, actually using it might prove to be a bore...

In other words, just owning the Voyager and no other typical studio equipment, e.g other synths, and especially recording software/hardware etc. the Voyager alone would be extremely limited in its use for me. I mean, yeah it's beautiful, fun to tweak around with, and worth a lot of money, but if one is merely limited to just trying to recreate some cool sound that they are aware of, and that's it, then that will get pretty tiresome very quickly I would think. It's use would simply be extremely limiting to me.

The Voyager, especially being a monosynth, is meant to compliment your other equipment, which I am assuming you don't have. Heck, you can't even use it as a piano, only as a very expensive sound effects box! And that's a shame. Now I think I better understand your predicament: you have a specialized piece of equipment, yet, you don't possess the foundation for it. You basically have the roof, yet no walls to set it on.

So, here's the deal. My advice to you, (and other, more experienced users know much, much more than me) is that you invest, somehow, in a cheap Polyphonic synthesizer. My personal suggestion is an Ensonic ESQ-1 simply due to the price/value factor. This synth is very cheap (typically around $160.00 U.S., or so), plus it is very versatile, it's polyphonic, and I even like the keyboard action better than the Voyager -- the keys just feel better. And don't let the cheap price tag fool you as this is a good synth. But anyway, if you are only going to own a synth or two, then you should consider a polyphonic synth to compliment your Voyager.

If you are interested, just do a bit internet research on this synth & others and make up your own mind. But I doubt you will find more synth (versatility & quality) for the money than you will get with the ESQ-1. Now, this is an old, '80's synth, and the company Ensonic is no longer around -- it was bought out. So, there are some issues there, but mainly you'll be concerned about the battery, which is easily obtainable, but I digress. You can work the details out later. The ESQ-1 is a great value, and certainly, I will be happy to help where I can.

The next thing you will need to consider purchasing is a computer program designed for recording music. If you can't record, then well, that's going to suck. You gotta find a way to record. And of course, there are other issues to deal with later, e.g. the right sound card, the right software program for you, speaker systems, other studio devices etc. But again, that's later, and it all adds up too...

------- OR -------

Forget the above for now and just buy the program Reason. I cannot stress enough how awesome and versatile this one particular program is. If I were to suggest ONE musical device/program you should own it is Reason because it already has built-in synthesizers (two types), mixers, samplers, sample players, sequencers, drum machines, and various effects devices, that, in hardware form would have cost probably in the tens of thousands of dollars just a few years back! Plus, you can use as many of each of these devices as your computer can handle.

Purchasing Reason is probably hands down the smartest decision you could make right now, I really cannot stress that enough. You can get Reason 2.5 for around $300.00 U.S., or the Reason/Ozone package deal (I highly recommend) for $400.00. Anyway, very powerful software, and hey, Nine Inch Nails uses it! (not that I'm a big fan, but I like some of their music). You won't be disappointed.

Think Home Studio on your computer. You'll learn so much about music creation and much about the hardware (even though it is software) that is traditionally used in this process. And besides, you can, and probably will, incorporate your Voyager with this program as well. I think the site digidesign.com sells the package deal -- I bought mine from there.

So there you go. Honest to goodness advice from another beginner. If you plan on composing music you really are going to need something more than just your monophonic Voyager; well not necessarily, but... well, think about it. Others may have advice to add, or even better advice for that matter, but the above is the best I can think of. It's my approach at the moment! Whatever the case, you're going to need to compliment your Voyager somehow eventually -- especially with a sequencer program.

If you have questions you can contact me via the Private Messenger thingy, or post relevant questions here. I can probably give a few more details if you need them...

Peace

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:44 am

If I was going to buy another synth, I would buy a Prophet 5, which is polyphonic, or the Pro-One monosynth, which I have got to play on before - I like it, but that keys are a bit iffy.

s16016wb

Post by s16016wb » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:37 pm

i can't agree more about the power, flexibility, and generally worth of Reason.

I'm multisampling some of my V-ger sounds to make a virtual Voyager polysynth for the NNXT. I use minimal processing in the NNXT itself, but send the output through a real MF101, MF102, and then a pair of of MF103's to keep lots of realtime control.

This makes for the most incredible polysynth sounds I've ever used. More reliable and portable (i'm using a laptop) than a PolyMoog, CS, or other real analog poly. I use high sample rates and lots of mutlisamples - so it sounds better than most virtual analogs. And the flexiblity of Reason allows for all kinds of layering and other cool stuff.

courtney214

Post by courtney214 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:04 pm

s16016wb:
Yeah, the more I learn about Reason the more I am impressed. You are a bit further along than me though -- I came very close to buying a laptop last month. I mean, with my little Ozone MIDI controller, Reason, a laptop and some headphones, I would essentially have a very powerful portable Home Studio that I could take just about anywhere -- all in the space of a small bag, or backpack!

I can't wait to use it all with my Voyager too -- I'll probably ask you some questions once I get there, especially about the moogerfoogers. I'm just now learning about all of the modules in Reason right now though...

Boeing,
I own a Prophet 5, in addition to a number of other "vintage" synths. So, I certainly don't want to talk you out of owning whatever it is you decide you want/need.

However, for me, I've learned that starting with older equipment was not necessarily the best way for me to get started. The power of the computer is just awesome, not to mention modern synthesizers. My suggestion is to start there, and then buy the older stuff later, once you get a better grasp of synthesis first. You can learn a heck of a lot more for a whole lot less money -- which is something to seriously consider, especially if on a budget...

I suggested an ESQ-1 above simply for practicality issues e.g., price, quality, reliability, etc. I don't know why this particular synth is so inexpensive -- maybe due to the sheer number produced? Who knows... But I think it's a great starter synth, and beyond.

One thing to consider is what if you eventually decide that synthesis, or music is not your forte'? I'm thinking start cheap, and end big (which is, admittedly, NOT what I did...)

Good luck with whichever route you choose though...

PS I don't mean to criticize the use of the Voyager as a "mere" sound effects unit at all. If that's one's specialty, then certainly I'd own one for that! I am, however, assuming that (boeing, or others) plan to compose music as well...

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:35 pm

Every day, I'm learning something new on the Voyager. I've always fancied having a Pro-One, and I might settle for that. The Moog Prodigy is very good for learning analogue synthesis apparently.

As for the Ensoniq ESQ-1, I've looked up the specs of it, and it seems like one serious piece of equipment, however I don't know where to find one of those, as it has bee npointed out earlier, I don't have a credit card, and can't put bids on ebay.