Great improvement/companion to the Minimoog

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Analog Prophet

Great improvement/companion to the Minimoog

Post by Analog Prophet » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:20 am

What are your best improvements/companions to your Minimoog (Voyager, Model D...)?

These are my personal favorites I use:

First of all DELAY. The Roland RE-201 is a great companion, especially to the Voyager as it gives a bit analog detune that gives life.

My favorite outboard to the Minimoog is Lexicon PCM80 REVERB that gives exactly the lush I’m heading for. Turning up the time/decay of Conert Hall 1 and I’m lost in space :) If only hook up one device to the Voyager and Model D it would be the PCM80. The Voyager that some times lack the warm life that the Model D definitely has everything of that with the PCM80.

A good COMPRESSOR brings any Minimoog to life. For most of the sound of the Minimoog I prefer a VCA-type compressor. The SSL channel compressor (XR618) is normally my to-go-Moog-compressor. It can be run pretty hard and brings the attack and vitality from of the Minimoog. The DBX160VU makes a great work as well as the price effective and underestimated DBX163X (especially to Moog basses).

An EQ is useful as complementary to a compressor. Again I found SSL works great with the thick Minimoog sound. But it must be used carefully.

An analog step sequencer is always fun to control the Minimoog. I have not tried more than the one I have, the Doepfer MAQ16/3 (Black Edition) and so far I’m happy with it.

I haven’t jumped on the MOOGFOOGERS train yet, but it’s just a matter of time/money/space. Top of my want-to-try is the Delay and the VX351 and see how it can be transformed to music - at the end of the road it’s about music.

I don’t have it (other than UAD plugin) but use it frequently at a friend’s studio: The CULTURE VULTURE - gives some nice distortion making any Moog happy.
Last edited by Analog Prophet on Tue May 08, 2018 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ikazlar

Re: Great improvement/companion to the Minimoog

Post by ikazlar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:12 am

With the Model D I use

1. Delay: Eventide H8000-FW or Moog MF-104z
2. Reverb: Eventide H8000-FW
3. EQ: Manley Massive Passive

4. Compressor: Well... I'd love to get a compressor just to tame the behavior of the filter particularly during tracking.. from when the resonance is set to something like 4-5 until 0 the volume increases significantly due to the filter's behavior, so I find myself continuously adjusting the input/output of the H8000-FW and/or the Model D's volume knob. I am looking at getting a VCA or tube compressor, maybe an API 2500 or Gyraf G22.

5. Preamp: Don't use one for the time being, except for the ones in the H8000-FW in order to get good and proper levels.

:D
The walls of Jericho were brought down by a Minimoog.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:40 am

Is there anythng that does not sound good through a RE201 or pcm80 :?: :lol:

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:26 pm

:) No, I can’t recall anything. And with a Voyager or Model D it’s a heavenly match.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:54 pm

with a voyager, a stereo reverb/delay is nice to have, as you can use the L/R outs to get some interesting movement to the sound via the spacing ctrl

GooberNumber9

Post by GooberNumber9 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:09 pm

All of the Moogerfoogers. There's not a one of them that isn't awesome and since they are all semi-modular, you can easily do some crazy things with CV.

For the Voyager, the VX-351 expander is almost a must. Along with the Moogerfoogers it takes "semi"-modular to the limit.

The next thing I want is an analog step sequencer, but in the meantime, tweaking square waves from the Voyager to the Model D reissue is a very interesting way to do a kind of step sequencing.