Midi question for Minimoog (Newbie)

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
sub guy

Midi question for Minimoog (Newbie)

Post by sub guy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:56 pm

I am using a midi keyboard to run all of my synths and have a newbie question. I want to be able to run three synths with the one midi keyboard. I have the keyboard split so that half plays my sub 37 and I want the other half to play the Minimoog and the Minitaur as 1 synth.

So midi signal chain is Midi keyboard into the Minimoog D. Midi thru goes to the sub 37. Is there a way to assign the mid out of the Minimoog to trigger the Minitaur without using the Model D's keys or do I have to buy a midi split device of some kind?

till

Re: Midi question for Minimoog (Newbie)

Post by till » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:10 am

You could set the Minimoog in Local Off mode. This way the Minimoog will play via the MIDI In and the keyboard of the Minimoog is sending out its note and trigger information via its MIDI Out. So you have to connect the Minitaur to the Minimoog's MIDI Out.

To set the Minimoog (reissue) to local off, use these commands (as explained in the manual)
MIDI LOCAL OFF
Hold the highest three black keys (F#3, G#3, A#3) while turning on the power to turn MIDI Local Off.

MIDI LOCAL ON
Hold the highest three white keys (A3, B3, C4) while turning on the power to turn MIDI Local On.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:16 pm

Thank you. I think I may be the slowest person who ever got into synthesizers! Even though I read the Manuel and even that section I really did not understand it would work that way. :oops:

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:40 am

till wrote:You could set the Minimoog in Local Off mode. This way the Minimoog will play via the MIDI In and the keyboard of the Minimoog is sending out its note and trigger information via its MIDI Out. So you have to connect the Minitaur to the Minimoog's MIDI Out.

To set the Minimoog (reissue) to local off, use these commands (as explained in the manual)
MIDI LOCAL OFF
Hold the highest three black keys (F#3, G#3, A#3) while turning on the power to turn MIDI Local Off.

MIDI LOCAL ON
Hold the highest three white keys (A3, B3, C4) while turning on the power to turn MIDI Local On.

I tried this and it did not work. Maybe I am missing something or maybe I mis spoke about what I am trying to do.

Using a midi keyboard split into two keyboards I want to be able to send midi messages into the MiniMoog and from there do this--

Midi thru from the Minimoog goes to the sub 37 and plays that on midi channel 2

Midi IN plays the Minimoog on channel 1 AND uses the midi out port to play the Minitaur also on channel 1 simultaneously.

Is that what you thought I meant to be able to do.

till

Post by till » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:50 am

In this setup, you should be able to play the Minitaur via the Minimoog keyboard.
The Minitaur and the Minimoog need to be set on the same MIDI channel.

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:35 am

Ok that makes sense. I am trying to play the Minimoog and the Minitaur via the same midi channel and via the same midi keyboard which is not going to happen. Its no problem-- I have already purchased a small midi hub from sweetwater.

till

Post by till » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:19 pm

OK, now I see what you are looking for.
It is no problem to play the Minimoog and the Minitaur on the same MIDI channel. But they will play the very same notes you play on your keyboard.

You need a MIDI routing like this:

Keyboard MIDI Out -> Minimoog MIDI In
Minimoog MIDI Thru -> Sub 37 MIDI In
Sub 37 MIDI Out -> Minitaur MIDI In

Set the Sub 37 to echo in going MIDI to the MIDI Out to get a MIDI Thru function. Use the ECHO DIN IN (MIDI MENU 2.3) function to do so.
Set the Minimoog and the Minitaur to MIDI channel 1 (so they play in parallel).
And set the Sub 37 to MIDI channel 2.
Use the keyboard with a keyboard split and sending on channel 1 and channel 2.

Sequence:

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:30 pm

Thanks for the help man. It worked and I am up and running now! Ill still use the mid splitter for sending out more signals to my Mother 32's.