Voyager XL Volume and Filter envelopes stopped responding

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
kironmusic

Voyager XL Volume and Filter envelopes stopped responding

Post by kironmusic » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi guys,

The Volume and Filter Envelopes on my Voyager XL suddenly stopped responding correctly. Attack on both envelopes are not making any changes. For a lot of sounds, I have to turn the DECAY all the way to zero to hear them ... and then, with many, I also have to adjust the Sustain. Reset to Factory settings did't fix the problem.
I'm wondering if I could try anything to fix it before i send the XL for service? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Kirill

HookedOnSonics

Re: Voyager XL Volume and Filter envelopes stopped respondin

Post by HookedOnSonics » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:20 pm

kironmusic wrote:Hi guys,

The Volume and Filter Envelopes on my Voyager XL suddenly stopped responding correctly. Attack on both envelopes are not making any changes. For a lot of sounds, I have to turn the DECAY all the way to zero to hear them ... and then, with many, I also have to adjust the Sustain. Reset to Factory settings did't fix the problem.
I'm wondering if I could try anything to fix it before i send the XL for service? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Kirill
Hi Kirill, did support have any advise on this? I have an XL and following your post to see what caused that. Thanks!!!
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

kironmusic

Post by kironmusic » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi,

Yes, MOOG guys replied. here's what they said:

Greetings Kirill,

Thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear you are having some trouble with your Voyager XL.

Based on the description provided, and your Voyager's serial number, I believe the problem you are encountering is due to your Voyager’s analog board. There was a problem discovered a few years ago regarding the Voyager analog boards. Our board manufacturer accidentally installed some faulty ICs and by the time we caught the problem, a large number of Voyager’s had already shipped out with the faulty boards installed. We have rectified the issue by making revisions to the Voyager analog board. Due to the number of Voyagers that were affected, Moog has graciously been covering the cost of replacing the analog boards in affected units based on serial number. Your Voyager’s serial number falls in this suspected failure range, so the analog board will need to be replaced. There are a few options available to you for having the board replaced which I have outlined below.

- For the first option, you would need to send us your Voyager to have the board replaced. You would be responsible for the shipping to our facility but the board replacement and return shipping to you would be covered by us. An RMA will need to be setup through the Moog website to proceed with this option.
- For the second option, you would need to send us just the Voyager's analog board. In return we would send you the replacement board at no cost to be installed from home. I have attached a short guide to this email that will help with swapping the board. An RMA will also need to be setup to proceed with this option.
- The third option only applies under the circumstance that you live outside of the US, in which case I can refer you to one of our authorized service centers nearest your location to have the analog board replaced.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed or if you have any additional questions and I will be glad to help.

Thank you,

ADAM PRYOR

TECH SUPPORT

MOOG MUSIC INC.

P: (828) 251.0090 ext. (246)
Fax: (828) 254.6233

Hope that helps.
Kirill

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:06 pm

kironmusic wrote:Hi,

There was a problem discovered a few years ago regarding the Voyager analog boards. Our board manufacturer accidentally installed some faulty ICs and by the time we caught the problem, a large number of Voyager’s had already shipped out with the faulty boards installed.
Kirill
Wow, thanks Kirill, i just sent off a letter to support to see if my VXL is affected.
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII