Voyager Envelope Retrigger

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Ray_V

Voyager Envelope Retrigger

Post by Ray_V » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:43 pm

I found some really old posts about this, but no definitive answers, I am sure someone can probably answer this fairly quickly..

Regarding envelope retrievers on the Voyager. I am trying to play a slow melody using a sound with low attack and release speeds on both amp and filter. What happens is when there is less space between the end of one note and the beginning of the next then the attack times are pretty much ignored - I think the envelope begins from the 'current' value of the fading note.

Is there a setting that overrides this, so that each note will retriever the envelope from the beginning, i.e. will begin form zero every time?

Acid Mitch

Re: Voyager Envelope Retrigger

Post by Acid Mitch » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:27 pm

Look for ”trigger modes “in the edit menu and change from single trigger to multi trigger.
Single trigger is normally for playing legato.

Ray_V

Post by Ray_V » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks for that.. I did try this but unfortunately it does the same - I do not believe that the multi trigger setting ensures that the envelope is re-triggered every time.

I do have a workaround whereby I can dial in some more reverb and have a short release, but of course this means it is not quite the sound I am going for..

Any other ideas per chance?

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:29 am

Ray_V wrote:Thanks for that.. I did try this but unfortunately it does the same - I do not believe that the multi trigger setting ensures that the envelope is re-triggered every time.
It sounds like something might be broken because that’s what it’s supposed to do.

Did you read this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22369 where someone has a similar issue ?

Ray_V

Post by Ray_V » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:48 am

Thanks for that. Actually it is the exact issue I have - however it seems that the issue was not resolved there either (if indeed it is an issue).

The user on that thread said:

"SO: when I press a key, the voyager should return to the start of the envelope - right??? This would mean returning to silence at the start of every note pressed, as the attack is so long that we cannot actually hear the very beginning of it?"

Is this what Multi-trigger is meant to do? i.e. make the synth behave as above, i.e. if you have a sound with a long attack that the sound should start from silence every key press?

till

Post by till » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:51 am

Ray,
the envelopes always retrigger and start exactly where there are at the beginning. So if the last note is still sounding, the next played note will not start from silence.
This is the way all envelopes where functioning on synths till some bad programmers did this wrong and started the soft synths envelopes always from zero.

Multi-trigger is triggering the envelopes each time a new note is pressed. No matter if another key is pressed.

The note priority and the trigger settings interact. And on some synths (like the newer Moogs) you can select different trigger modes for the filter and the volume envelope.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Ray_V

Post by Ray_V » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks Till, I thought this may have been the case. I am generally used to polysynths so probably just have never come across this behaviour before.

Cheers!

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 pm

this is funny: I used the "keyboard on/external" switch to hold a root note I was playing, then got carried away tweaking stuff while it was being held....

after a few mins I saw the signal level gradually dropping, ( forgetting about the whole trigger issue ), and was trying to figure out what was wrong :D

I finally realized I needed to retrigger the note

doh!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:04 am

Happened to me a couple of times too :)