Model D: does this sound normal?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
mlgueld

Model D: does this sound normal?

Post by mlgueld » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:39 pm

https://soundcloud.com/user-299758127/moog-zing

hi there, folks! I've had my Model D reissue for about a week now, and this sound startled me a bit. It's filter all the way open, no resonance, and all three OSCs on 8' square wave and attempted to tune to unison, but of course you never quite get there. the sorta pink noise you hear on the first and third notes is an artifact from the soundcloud conversion, it's the Zing that's bugging me. i realize the D is kinda overdriven by nature, and three OSCs beating is different than two, but it triggered my paranoia and I wanted to run it by you guys.

the square wave seems significantly louder than the other wave forms on my moog, and the resonance cuts the volume quite a bit. is this typical?

completely unrelated issue: in retrigger mode, there is a smidgeon of glide between the notes at all times regardless of glide setting. i know the prototype of Uli's clone of the circuit had this as well, is it just the way it is, or can something be done?

Analog Prophet

Re: Model D: does this sound normal?

Post by Analog Prophet » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi Miguel, I think many of us, myself included, have been freaky about different things of our new Model Ds about “is this normal or is it something wrong with my new baby”? (myself contacted Moog Support regarding the pitch wheel issue that I learned is normal and a heritage from the original Model D). Many things are normal, but if not it’s better to get it fixed while warranty of course...

The distortion in the provided file sounds normal to me with square wave and open filter. The square wave can be perceived as louder than other waveforms (and narrow square as the opposite). The resonance affect the volume different with different waveforms, not only on Model D. Regarding the glide I have not noticed any glide when glide is turned off on my Model D Reissue, but I only used the default trigger mode

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:21 am

There should be zero glide on a Mini with the glide turned off...!

till

Post by till » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:53 am

There is a little bit of glide caused by the keyboard to CV unit that is not like the real Minimoog, as the keyboard uses a keylogic and not direct CV contacts. You can hear this glide when you use a full keyboard range to play fast trills with to hands.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16