VoyagerXL Note on

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
wavebreak

VoyagerXL Note on

Post by wavebreak » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:12 am

Hey guys,

I've just started out messing with the voyager and I've noticed some of the presets allow you to press a higher note on the keyboard which interrupts the currently held lower pitched note and some the higher pitched note is just ignored. I've looked through the manual and experimented with controls on the console as well as looking here, but haven't found the setting.

For example: Preset B4 (A minor story panned) press a key and hold, then press a key that is to the right of it, notice the higher note to the right is ignored.

Then load B3 (Electric panning keys) and do the same thing. The higher pitched note interrupts the lower pitched note and plays, even with the lower pitched note held down the whole time.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

GregAE

Re: VoyagerXL Note on

Post by GregAE » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:46 am

Welcome to the forums Wavebreak! :D

You're looking for 'Keyboard Modes', which appears in the EDIT Menu (3.3). It allows you to select Lower, Higher, Last, or 1 Key Only operation.

Hope this helps.

wavebreak

Post by wavebreak » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:02 pm

Great, thanks! That sounds like just what I was looking for! :D

till

Post by till » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:17 pm

The low-note priority is what the vintage Moog, especially the Minimoog used. Some of the typical Minimoog soloing licks only work this way. But feel free to use other note priorities for your own style.
After using vintage Moog as my only monophonic synths for 20+ years before encountering synths with other note priorities, I am quite used to this mode.

And there is also the setting for single or retriggering mode. The later will start the envelopes whenever a new note is played. The former is the way the vintage Moogs used: you had to let all keys go (play staccato) to trigger a new note. So you could play legato notes (change to a new note pitch without starting the envelopes) like you are able to do on flutes and valve controlled braas instruments.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:16 pm

till wrote: And there is also the setting for single or retriggering mode. The later will start the envelopes whenever a new note is played. The former is the way the vintage Moogs used: you had to let all keys go (play staccato) to trigger a new note. So you could play legato notes (change to a new note pitch without starting the envelopes) like you are able to do on flutes and valve controlled braas instruments.
Till is quite correct! He's referring to Edit menu 3.4 - "Triggering Modes" - Multi Trigger or Single Trigger