Minimoog pre amp?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
sub guy

Minimoog pre amp?

Post by sub guy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:15 am

I have noticed that my Minimoog reissue is not nearly as loud as my sub 37. Not sure if that is going to be a problem or not when playing live but my max volume coming out of two EV PA's is a bit underwhelming. Do most of you guys use pre amps with your Minimoog? If yes any recommendations about what to use?

till

Re: Minimoog pre amp?

Post by till » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:10 am

As I have to use mixer for my gear anyway, I just adjust the gain pot on the mixer accordingly.
And as the reissue is very, very close to the original Minimoog, the level is just as the real old thing.
I A/B tested my 1979 and my 2017 minimoogs at this point too.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:38 pm

something I like is an old H&K Tubeman ( the black one with blue stripes )

it is built like a tank, and is very versatile with settings for clean to distorted sounds. plus it's a good sounding instrument tube preamp

can probably find one pretty cheap

I use it with a rhodes too

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:49 am

Thanks for both peoples replies. I am kind of rude sometimes as I mean to reply and then forget. I apologize.

I was leaning towards just a cheap 4 channel mixer because I use one with my mother 32's and they have a ton of gain in them and dont seem to color the sound at all. I never considered getting a real pre-amp before. Any good videos you recommend from Youtube demoing some of this with a MInimoog? It is all about sound quality for me so I would consider getting something for mine IF it would improve sound quality. On the other hand as an audiophile I am also worried something like that might take away from my Minomoog sound. What say you?

On the tubeman is 200.00 a good deal?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Hughes ... adType^PLA

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 pm

ah, a mixer might be the easiest & most versatile then! esp with multiple instruments

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:28 am

A good preamplifier is important to get the best out of your Model D (or anything that deserves love). A high quality compressor gives it edge.

I have my synths, including the Model D, hooked up to a SSL Matrix sound board. Have tried some different preamps and compressors (LA610, TL Audio channel strips, DBX160VUs... that works great to the Voyager) as different synths respond different to different processors. The preamp I use to the Model D, and completely happy with, is SSL VHD (X-Rack) and an SSL Channel Compressor (X-rack). I think the compressor makes the Model D shine even more than the preamp. A high quality sound card is also important if catching it for recording.

It all comes down to budget, but if invest in a high quality instrument as the Model D I recommend concider to match the equipment to the same level of excellence that the instrument has - it makes huge difference. Low budget preamps etc won’t let the transients etc out and kill the sound.

But at the end of the road the sound is determined to the hands on the keys and knobs of the performer that is more important than any equipment.
Last edited by Analog Prophet on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:01 am

Analog Prophet wrote:But in the end of the road the sound is determined to the hands of the keys and knobs of the performer that is more important than any equipment.
Words of wisdom :)

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:47 pm

Analog Prophet wrote:A good preamplifier is important to get the best out of your Model D (or anything that deserves love). A high quality compressor gives it edge.

I have my synths, including the Model D, hooked up to a SSL Matrix sound board. Have tried some different preamps and compressors (LA610, TL Audio channel strips, DBX160VUs... that works great to the Voyager) as different synths respond different to different processors. The preamp I use to the Model D, and completely happy with, is SSL VHD (X-Rack) and an SSL Channel Compressor (X-rack). I think the compressor makes the Model D shine even more than the preamp. A high quality sound card is also important if catching it for recording.

It all comes down to budget, but if invest in a high quality instrument as the Model D I recommend concider to match the equipment to the same level of excellence that the instrument has - it makes huge difference. Low budget preamps etc won’t let the transients etc out and kill the sound.

But at the end of the road the sound is determined to the hands of the keys and knobs of the performer that is more important than any equipment.

Thanks for this. I will review the ones you listed. I am willing to spend money for quality.