Voyager slightly changed character to the better by the time

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Analog Prophet

Voyager slightly changed character to the better by the time

Post by Analog Prophet » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:34 pm

A reflection: To me the Voyager was a disappointment soundwise as my intention was a Model replacement to my Model D I had back then. But it sounds to me like my 2008 Voyager sounds better and better the older it gets, especially the last year (10 years old now). Better is of course subjective, by my personal preferences it is slight more unstable oscillators (but not too unstable) makes it more alive and also more fat. The Voyager has now become a real Challenger to my Model D (nowadays the Reissue). It now sounds marvelous. Anyone else noticed a slightly change in character of the Voyager as it getting older?

ummagumma

Re: Voyager slightly changed character to the better by the

Post by ummagumma » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:22 pm

I don't know about that; but I just fired mine up after being preoccupied with other gear for a bit, and it sounds bloody great!

when I was using it all the time, I guess I became used to how it sounded.

Coming back from a break, I have a new appreciation for what it can do

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:42 am

Analog Prophet wrote:A reflection: To me the Voyager was a disappointment soundwise as my intention was a Model replacement to my Model D I had back then. But it sounds to me like my 2008 Voyager sounds better and better the older it gets, especially the last year (10 years old now). Better is of course subjective, by my personal preferences it is slight more unstable oscillators (but not too unstable) makes it more alive and also more fat. The Voyager has now become a real Challenger to my Model D (nowadays the Reissue). It now sounds marvelous. Anyone else noticed a slightly change in character of the Voyager as it getting older?
I had mine in storage for about six months, but when I pulled it out and fired it up I had the same reaction - that it sounded better than I remembered. But I'm sure it's my own faulty sound memory, colored somewhat by other synths I've been using recently.

On the other hand, (and just for fun) we could start an 'older Voyagers sound the best' rumor to see if the prices escalate on the resell market. :wink:

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:16 pm

hahaha....

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:09 am

Is it possible that come from the factory adjusted as perfectly as possible,minimizing quirky harmonics and “distortion,” and as they slowly go out of perfect adjustment, the sweet quirkiness develops, yielding more harmonics and organic sound? Just a thought.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:44 am

hmm I guess someone could open one up, adjust the OSC calibration trim pots, and see what happens?

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:12 am

ummagumma wrote:hmm I guess someone could open one up, adjust the OSC calibration trim pots, and see what happens?

How would that differ from just slightly detuning the oscillators from the front panel? Btw my Signature Voyager does sound quite a bit better from the time I bought it 15 years ago - especially for sounds in the upper frequency band. But I blame that on one of the forum members here with initials RL. 8)

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:14 pm

well, I would assume there are other adjustments for the OSC's, than just pitch?

possible you could even control the temperature variance/stability

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:06 am

I guess the electronic parts inside ages, tuning of oscillators and filter slightly lose and that together affects the overall sound. I don’t want to get it retune and “perfect”again as I experience it has more personality now compar d to 10 years ago, especially the last year. Of course it can be placebo and that’s why I started this thread to see if anyone else experience the same thing with an aging Voyager... or if it’s strictly placebo... :?

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Always sounded great to me
Together with t3/ minitaur, sub37 , the voyager tmho are best synths of nowadays