New Moog Voyager XL

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
GregAE

Re: New Moog Voyager XL

Post by GregAE » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:17 am

microwerx wrote:So while I'm waiting, I asked my wife for an "appetizer" and ordered a Roland SE-02 to tide me over for a bit, can't wait to see what it's like.
Seems like you're on your way to gear heaven - congrats!

One thought I had was to reconsider the SE-02 and substitute something less Moogish. This is not to say that the XL and SE-02 sound the same, but the similarities are definitely there and it's possible to have too much of a good thing sound-wise. What to substitute? Unfortunately there are too many options in both the analog and digital domains. Right now we are spoilt for choice in the synth world (a good thing for us all). Of course, there's also the consideration of your own musical aspirations. If you can offer some thoughts on that here, I'm sure there's a ton of ready responders to help you spend your $$$.

microwerx

Post by microwerx » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Aw, yes. This was a tough choice. The quest essentially is to find something $500 or less that offers something new. The SE-02 does appear to be very "Moogish," but at the same time has some nifty features that I don't have. So, my musical aspirations are game soundtrack and effects oriented. Probably my biggest inspiration comes from 90's games like Descent. I can tell that sampling is really big there.

So option-wise, I have the Sub 37 and the Roland FA-08. The Sub 37 is amazing, never getting rid of it. It's my first monosynth and it sounds sooo good. I bought the Roland because it offered up kind of a three in one package...good piano/keys, classic ROMpler (XV5080 style), and the same supernatural synth structure from the Jupiter-80. Additionally, I have Arturia's V collection.

I'm open to suggestions in case the Voyager XL doesn't pan out...cuz I don't really know. It's 90% going to happen in my mind, but I have no idea if Moog still had remaining orders to manufacture or not. It's $4000 to spend if it doesn't. i was thinking maybe Roland's System 8 + some eurorack/rhythm machine. That would be a great discussion!

I really liked how the Moog Model D was very bright and the square wave oscillators were really bright and buzzy...something great for 8-bit sounds. The Sub 37 has a darker nature about it. So I was thinking the SE-02 would add a different sounding filter, three square wave oscillators, and white noise. It seemed that it would be a great addition for sound design. Plus, it's so small, it would make a nice travel companion on a long car ride with my teenage engineering pocket operators.

Example tracks:

* Virtual Tension (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF4WjU8ZQTo)
* Robotic Menace (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkrKJhNbq7U)
* Not that Button! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3YMh3Yw3i0)
* Primitive Rage (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWbqA5xfdwc)
* Top Hush by Jerry Berlongieri (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-k15tgPCDc)
* Origin Zero by Jerry Berlongieri (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rGZcr_7ybE)
* Thirteen Omega by Jerry Berlongieri (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bptXW7nhJpk)
* Deep Down by Jerry Berlongieri (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Q_-3YW66Y)
- my synths: moog voyager xl, moog sub 37, moog theremini, roland fa-08, and roland se-02

microwerx

Post by microwerx » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:49 am

So the SE-02 came in today and I love it. The filter sounds very different than my Sub 37 and it can definitely produce some bass. I mean, there’s some similarities in sound, but it’s totally different. I really enjoy the oscillators—they have lots of character. With the cross mod and fm options, I think I could get lots of nice electro drum and fix sounds. And as far as the built in speaker goes, it doesn’t sound half bad if you just want to jam on the couch. It was interesting to layer the mono sound on top of a poly synth string sound. And I put on an ARP and jammed with my Sub 37...so cool.

Still no news on the VXL, so alas I wait. Since it’s always nice to day dream, what would you get with $4k for a PhD present...synth-wise?
- my synths: moog voyager xl, moog sub 37, moog theremini, roland fa-08, and roland se-02

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:51 pm

tough call.....I have an XL and really like it

I don't think you will be disappointed

at some point, I do need a poly synth though :D

I had a Roland system 1M and returned it, as I was not happy with the sound. it also cut the voices off abruptly, as it was digital filter & envelopes

I think analog filter/envelopes will keep the voices trailing off better. So if I get a poly it will be analog

microwerx

Post by microwerx » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:41 am

I was just thinking about this, but does th XL have an arpeggiator built in?

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:40 pm

no arpeggiator on the XL

microwerx

Post by microwerx » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:35 pm

The more I think about the VXL versus my Sub 37, it seems in some ways they are way more equivalent in terms of features than maybe I originally thought of. I mean there are some significant differences like the dual filter and stuff, but as far as LFOs and modulation goes, it seems very close. I'm not so sure about the difference in oscillators go. The lack of consistency with the square wave with the continuous oscillator shapes--I'm thinking--is probably existent on the VXL as well. Sometimes I'll use the sub octave generator for a pure square wave. I've yet to plug in my SE-02 into the external input and try out the filter...maybe tonight I'll do that. Square waves are really important for 8-bit video game type sounds, so it's really important to me.

I'm possibly thinking that if I don't hear anything soon, that I might need to look at a different option instead of the VXL.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:47 pm

well, there are a lo of synth options out there!!

a good problem, to have IMO

one much less expensive asset would be the Korg MS-20 mini

I have one & think it's fantastic

they even make one with V/oct instead of Hz/V, so it would interface better with other gear

Shaw

Post by Shaw » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:25 am

Last time I looked, there were new Voyager XLs for sale on Reverb. I bought mine in December...

microwerx

Post by microwerx » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Unicorns do exist! Mine just arrived at Sweetwater. I ordered it at the end of November, and the waiting was just taking its toll on me. My left brain was telling me "be patient, it'll come" and my right brain was telling me "it may have been discontinued, what are you going to do if it doesn't happen." I'm always happy when the left brain wins out. If I had to take a guess, I think this last batch really is the end of the line for the VXL... Which is cool that I'll own one of the last ever produced. The end result of agonizing over this purchase is that I know it was the right choice, and that I'm not settling for anything else than what I desired to have.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:48 pm

allright, congratulations....I hope you post some pics of that badboy, once you get it!

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:26 am

I got my white Voyager XL a few years ago refurb, but it arrived in what can only be described as brand new condition. If I had to pick one desert island synth, it would be the one. It's usually the one synth I turn on in my rig when I want to just doodle and experiment. The Sub 37 sits to the side, ready for sequencing duty, and it does have its differences that make it worth keeping around, but... always keep coming back to the XL.

Hope you enjoy yours!

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:49 pm

Last time I spoke with Moog guys (about a month ago), they said that they were making 40 more XL's to finish out the product line. If anyone is sitting on the fence, now is the time to act.

I have a Voyager Select with a CP-251 and a VX-351 and all I can say is wow, the XL just feels so much better than the combination of those three. The only thing I'm missing with the Voyager/CP/VX combo is the ribbon and the larger keyboard. I never enjoyed the Select Voyager half as much as I'm digging the XL.

Stephen

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:33 pm

agree, it's inspiring even to look at, sitting in the room

and inspiration gets creative juices flowing

I am working on getting some other modular components to use, alongside it