VoyagerXL Starting out

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
wavebreak

VoyagerXL Starting out

Post by wavebreak » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:21 pm

Hello,

I'm luckily going to be able to use a VoyagerXL and have a few questions starting out. I've tried searching around about these topics too before posting.

1. So the manual says there's a 15min warm up period. Does that mean I can't use it at all until its been on for 15mins because it's bad for the unit or that it won't sound as good until it's warmed up, but I can play it?

2. Do I need to worry about what kind of signal I put into the external audio in? Like can I mess something up if I put something that's too loud in / wrong type of signall / ect?

3. Is there any combination of patch cable use that can damage it? I've read a lot on this and it seems only out to out can be bad, so otherwise there aren't any no nos?

4. Is there any reason not to use standard 1/4" mono instrument cables for the audio out? They are good quality functional cables.

5. Any other tips for keeping it in good shape? Like don't do x while pressing y, ect.

Thank you for any input I appreciate it! Can't wait to start trying it all out! :D

GregAE

Re: VoyagerXL Starting out

Post by GregAE » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:00 am

wavebreak wrote: 1. So the manual says there's a 15min warm up period. Does that mean I can't use it at all until its been on for 15mins because it's bad for the unit or that it won't sound as good until it's warmed up, but I can play it?
The warm up period is for the oscillators - they needs a little bit of time to stabilize. During that time, the Voyager may seem slightly out of tune, but feel free to play away. No harm will be done.
wavebreak wrote: 2. Do I need to worry about what kind of signal I put into the external audio in? Like can I mess something up if I put something that's too loud in / wrong type of signall / ect?
Probably not, but the best advice is to err on the side of caution. To process external audio, I'd recommend lowering the volume of the source material and then bring it up slowly until you reach a comfortable level. As for the 'wrong type of signal' question, I'd avoid plugging control voltages into the external input - it's for audio only.

wavebreak wrote: 3. Is there any combination of patch cable use that can damage it? I've read a lot on this and it seems only out to out can be bad, so otherwise there aren't any no nos?
Sources (Outs) are always routed to Destinations (In). Never plug two Outs together - if you need to combine two or more outputs, use the Mixer.

wavebreak wrote: 4. Is there any reason not to use standard 1/4" mono instrument cables for the audio out? They are good quality functional cables.
Nope
wavebreak wrote: 5. Any other tips for keeping it in good shape? Like don't do x while pressing y, ect.
Don't use it in the bath tub? Seriously, RTFM (read the fine manual) and common sense will go a long way. Others may have something to offer here.
wavebreak wrote: Thank you for any input I appreciate it! Can't wait to start trying it all out! :D
You're welcome, and congrats on the XL!

Greg