No Wheels

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Tom Liberatore

No Wheels

Post by Tom Liberatore » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:05 pm

I'm trying to weasel my way back into another Moog and one of the options is the rack mount version, my main axe is a Hammond XK-5 (A-3 style) which does not have pitch or mod wheels, is there any way to fake this?
Hammond XK-5, A-100, Voyager RME, Leslie 3300, Studiologic Sledge (yellow)

jdeacon

Re: No Wheels

Post by jdeacon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:12 am

I found it surprisingly difficult/impossible to get wheels.

[Long story] I was retiring an Open Labs 'Neko' production station, Open Labs having gone out of (the hardware) business at the moment I was buying it. It had lasted without support for five years but with no chance of any driver updates, keeping it running was looking dicey.

I had wanted a Hammond tone wheel organ for years but couldn't justify the expense, the space or the new set of support issues. And then it occurred to me that if a Nord C2D - Clavias drawbar Hammond emmulation - had full MIDI (it does) I could move the PC motherboard out of the Neko into a regular case and replace the keybed with the C2D, thus giving me even better keyboard - plus other - controllers as well as a decent Hammond sound, along with the same DAW etc. software that had underpinned the Neko.

I also removed the drum pad control surface from the Neko and put it in a small standalone case. It was connected only via USB so that was easy (and the only remaining unsupported driver).

But the wheels! They were somehow integrated with the Neko's electronics for the Fatar keybed. I looked for standalone wheels and was astonished that I just couldn't find any. I ended up chopping the old wheels out the Neko case, putting them in another little standalone case along with some MIDI control electronics from Doepfer.
Last edited by jdeacon on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Liberatore

Post by Tom Liberatore » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:27 pm

Thanks for answering, I was afraid that this might be over my head and it certainly is. Good on you for sticking with it and finding a way to make it work.
Hammond XK-5, A-100, Voyager RME, Leslie 3300, Studiologic Sledge (yellow)

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Doepfer “ we wheel electronic “ with wheels and case of your choice will do it.
They also make the A-174-2 Wheels module but you’d need case ,power and cv to midi conversion.