Midi to USB / Moog Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
discorules

Midi to USB / Moog Voyager

Post by discorules » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:39 pm

Hi,

I have a Voyager Performer Edition, my audio interface is a Focusrite Sapphire Pro 24.

The synth does not have USB, so i plug the MIDI in / out cables directly into the audio interface.

The problem is, whenever i put my Mac to sleep, when it wakes the audio interface won't receive MIDI in / out anymore, i need to restart my Mac. It's a problem in the audio interface, Focusrite says this won't support 'computer sleeping'.

So i tried to buy a Midi to USB cable ; it's a cable with a USB in one side and two MIDI cables in another side. My goal is to use the Moog after the Mac sleeps wihtout having to restart it.

The cable is identified by the Mac, i can see it on Ableton Live and i can see it's leds blinking when i send Midi notes. BUT the Voyager won't play anything, and no notes i press in the Voyager are recognized by Ableton.

Any hints ? Is there any specific cable i should buy for this purpose ?

Thanks !

ummagumma

Re: Midi to USB / Moog Voyager

Post by ummagumma » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:25 am

not exactly a solution, but I disable "sleep" on all my PC's ( and my Mac ) because of various problems similar to that

if I am not using them, I shut them down.

it's always good to reboot them once in a while, anyway, rather than leaving them running all the time.

plus if it's off, a power surge is less likely to do any damage

discorules

Post by discorules » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:17 pm

ummagumma wrote:not exactly a solution, but I disable "sleep" on all my PC's ( and my Mac ) because of various problems similar to that

if I am not using them, I shut them down.

it's always good to reboot them once in a while, anyway, rather than leaving them running all the time.

plus if it's off, a power surge is less likely to do any damage
Yep but i don't think a daily reboot would be good for the machine ; the reboot is always an additional effort, besides the fact is a lot nicer just to click the mouse and the machine is available in a second ;)

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:14 am

Do you have the cables connected to the correct ports on the Voyager ?

Also, computers are made to be rebooted. Most people switch off at the end of the day and power up on next use and their computers are fine.

discorules

Post by discorules » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:21 am

I have another issue about rebooting everyday : i use my Mac on clamshell mode, with an external monitor / keyboard. To reboot i would need to open the Mac everyday to press the power button and because i keep it behind all my stuff, it would be a hassle :p

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:14 pm

well, good luck with that

I have not had much luck with MIDI USB, I just stick to standard MIDI. IMO you're introducing more potential for problems

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:16 pm

discorules wrote:I have another issue about rebooting everyday : i use my Mac on clamshell mode, with an external monitor / keyboard. To reboot i would need to open the Mac everyday to press the power button and because i keep it behind all my stuff, it would be a hassle :p
Being a musician is hard work. :lol:
Why not leave the Mac lid open just enough to reach the power button ?

Jedi

Post by Jedi » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:34 pm

Being in the Music Industry for over 50 years now, the issue here is proper MIDI wiring. Those cheap Chinese MIDI to USB interfaces are all wired wrong and will not play properly with good professional MIDI wiring. It is the cheap interface that is the problem not the Moog.