NEED HELP SETTING UP MY MINIMOOG TO RECORD AUDIO TO LOGIC

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
jm4171

NEED HELP SETTING UP MY MINIMOOG TO RECORD AUDIO TO LOGIC

Post by jm4171 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:54 pm

PLEASE!!! Any help is appreciated i have the minimoog model d focusrite 6i6, 2 midi cables and a 1/4 jack the midi cables are plugged from the moog out to the 6i6 in, moog in to the 6i6 out, and from the high output jack on the moog to the 4th input on the 6i6. I can record the midi information but none of the audio. I am a huge noob at this so any help would be awesome!

breun

Re: NEED HELP SETTING UP MY MINIMOOG TO RECORD AUDIO TO LOGI

Post by breun » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:44 am

I’d ignore MIDI until you get basic audio recording to work. You should be able to to just connect the audio output to an input on your audio interface using a jack cable. Apart from making sure the volume isn’t turned down on your Minimoog there is not much you can do wrong on your synth.

How to set up the rest of the chain should be explained in the manuals of your audio interface and recording software. Usually it’s a matter of creating an audio track, selecting the input on your interface to which you connected your instrument, arming the track for recording, pressing record and playing your instrument for a bit.

When you got that working you can move on to adding MIDI. Did you ever successfully record another instrument using your setup before?

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:31 am

Have you selected that audio input in logic itself?

jm4171

Post by jm4171 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:31 pm

breun wrote:I’d ignore MIDI until you get basic audio recording to work. You should be able to to just connect the audio output to an input on your audio interface using a jack cable. Apart from making sure the volume isn’t turned down on your Minimoog there is not much you can do wrong on your synth.

How to set up the rest of the chain should be explained in the manuals of your audio interface and recording software. Usually it’s a matter of creating an audio track, selecting the input on your interface to which you connected your instrument, arming the track for recording, pressing record and playing your instrument for a bit.

When you got that working you can move on to adding MIDI. Did you ever successfully record another instrument using your setup before?
I havent recorded any other external instruments just the software ones. Audio jack is in the High main output connected to focusrite audio line input 4. I selected a new audio track with input 4 and output 3/4 record enabled. My focusrite volume knobs never light up when playing the moog if that might help, not really sure what else im supposed to do

jm4171

Post by jm4171 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:34 pm

breun wrote:I’d ignore MIDI until you get basic audio recording to work. You should be able to to just connect the audio output to an input on your audio interface using a jack cable. Apart from making sure the volume isn’t turned down on your Minimoog there is not much you can do wrong on your synth.

Also when i plug my headphones into the focusrite i dont hear audio from the moog so i think its something to do with that possibly

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:01 am

I think it does sound as though you have not configured your interface or se it up in Logic quite right.

You see the focusrite in the preferences as the interface not core audio? - you are hearing your soft synths audio from your focusrite?

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:01 am

You should hop over to the Focusrite site and watch a tutorial for your specific interface.

I have a Sapphire Pro 24 (years and years old on my aged Mac Pro 'early 2008') and step one was making sure that audio can flow into the interface and out to monitors. If you are not seeing the VU meters (LEDs) move as you play the Minimoog into the interface, there is a software setting or a driver problem that stands in the way.

Don't even bother with Logic until you can bring up the Focusrite Control software, see the levels, manage panning, binding mono to stereo, etc.

Once you have this done properly, you can add a channel within Logic and hopefully see the same (virtual LEDs dancing). When you select your input, you should see all of the Focusrite devices to choose from.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!