7 Yr old Voyager. . . Capacitors?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
praxisaxis

7 Yr old Voyager. . . Capacitors?

Post by praxisaxis » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:02 pm

Hey All,
I have a Voyager which works perfectly, except to say that it periodically freezes on the front screen and partially or wholly shuts down. A switch on and off usually resolves the problem. It is intermittent and doesn't seem to have gotten worse, but it does need fixing as it's a source of unreliability.

What are the chances of this being capacitors in the power supply? I've fixed caps before in other gear. Worth a try? There are no accredited repairers where I live. Anyone from Moog here, if you wanna give me some advice that'd be appreciated.

Markyboard

Re: 7 Yr old Voyager. . . Capacitors?

Post by Markyboard » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:34 am

I'm not from Moog but will offer this advice anyway. Electronics isn't about chances and I recommend against a "maybe I'll get lucky approach". You need someone to observe whats happening when the unit freezes up. If the power supply is at fault (and yes, it could be a cap among many other things) measure the secondary voltages feeding the processor and supporting circuitry. No different than fixing a car that won't start; you wouldn't just change your starter motor or alternator without doing some diagnostics first.

Moog techs may have seen similar problems and it could be a known"signature". I would contact Moog tech support.

MC

Post by MC » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:29 pm

^ What Markyboard said. This is no place for guesswork. Troubleshooting of this nature is not for novices, especially if you don't have the right tools.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 am

regarding the fact that you'll probably need schemes , which might be difficult to obtain from moog by local repairpeople, i'd say " send it to moog for repair"

till

Post by till » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:04 am

I would guess these problems are the PSU. But before harming yourself and/or your Voyager, ask some electronic technician to check the power supply for you by measuring its output and using an oscilloscope to check for spikes, etc.

And once (s)he finds a problem, then it is time to check the cause of these. And maybe you need to recalibrate your Voyager. So better go for a Moog experienced technician for this.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Toni

Post by Toni » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi,

Power supply is a good direction.
BUT
I had the same issue on a voyager.
Problem was the power distribution board. Its a small PCB with lots of soldered cables.
This cables are very poorly soldered. With a good glass you can see, that the 5V solderings became "cold"
After resoldering, the issue was fixed. Altogether this board is a bit weak quality, seems to be handmade soldered.
I heard about similar problems from other users, and this was always the same cause.
The power supply itself is a switched PS, bought module. Its a very solid
part and never heard about any problems with that.
So check the distribution PCB next to the power supply.