New Model D Reissue Pitch Bend Center (Precision)

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
till

Re: New Model D Reissue Pitch Bend Center (Precision)

Post by till » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:59 am

It is not easy to do, as the ribbon cabel that reaches from the panel through the hole to the left hand section is not that long enough to just undo the left hand section. Also the vulnerable ribbon cable of the aftertouch is to short. And the digital interface of the Minimoog reissue handling the MIDI is below the keyboard action and also connected with a ribbon cable to the left hand section.
But I had to disconnect these three cables anyway to install the MUSE board. So this little pitchbend modification was just a spontaneous idea while having the left hand section in my hand.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:10 am

Just ordered one Muse for Nodel D Reissue as well. Looking forward to get it. Is it complicated to open up the Model D and install the Muse. I’m not that technical skilled but on the level that I now and then, and always a little bit scared, replace batteries, keys and things I can see with my eyes on synths, but that’s it - soldered the lamp connector (for the BNC lamp) inside my Voyger recently and impressed myself greatly :)

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:05 am

I spoke with a Moog employee at the latest Moogfest about the pitch wheel. That was the only reason I decided not to buy one. Moving it from that detent was like climbing out of a crevice. He mentioned that there may be a way to make it more like the mod wheel - completely loose - maybe this is the nut removal discussed previously in this thread. I would almost rather control the center position manually than have it be so hard it makes it essentially useless. I decided, even with this flaw, to order one so in a few days I will explore the possibilities as well.
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

Minimooger

Post by Minimooger » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:11 am

till wrote: And while I had the left section open, I get rid of the nut between the wheel holder and the tongue with the cone used to hold the pitchbend very tidt into the center possition. Now it isn‘t that stiff anymore. And still no random MIDI values sent in zero position.
till, thanks so much for the picture. i installed muse a couple of days ago and decided to reopen my moogie again to ease the wheels stiffnes. your hint helps a lot and the wheel feels quite "organic" now. from day to day i love my minimoog even more. :D thanks again.

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:16 am

I was order the Muse (Reissue Model D) last week and excpect to have it any day. To me it’s a little bit scary to order “expensive” stuff from smaller companies from another country, especially since bought a product once from another country in Europe that never appeared (it was not that much money, below €100, but still lost some money I could have better use of). But after talked with Alexander some times on telephone I feel full confidence. Really nice and helpful guy what I understand. That I can call any time for support if needed is great. And some of you guys have the Muse installed and are happy makes me believe in this :)

till

Post by till » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:01 am

Here some before and after pictures I did when installing the MUSE in my second reissue Minimoog.

The left picture was before. You can see the nut between the metal pitchwheel holder and the center detent metal stripe with the white conus that does the detent in the pitchwheel groove.

I hope my words do make a bit of sense, as I am not a native english speaker.
Attachments
The left picture was before. You can see the nut between the metal pitchwheel holder and the center detent metal stripe with the white conus that does the detent in the pitchwheel groove.

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:33 pm

that is a great pic, thanks!!

seems like an easy fix

till

Post by till » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:02 am

ummagumma wrote:...seems like an easy fix
Not really as simple as on the vintage Minimoogs.
There are two cables going from the left hand section to the keyboard (fragile aftertouch cable) and a board below the keyboard. And of cause one cable going to the panel. While you can unmount the left hand section on the original vintage Minimoogs just by undoing the two screws on the fron of the left hand section that hold the metal and the little wooden block, this is not possible on the reissue Minimoogs. If you don't undo the aftertouch cable on the left hand section and the ribbon cable on the board below the keyboard, you will destroy your reissue Minimoog when pulling the left hand section.

***warning ***
All on your own risk. I had to do it a bit different then described here, as I installed the MUSE while doing this mod. So the steps described here might not be the perfect right ones, but they give you an idea on how to do this. Notice all the cables and their orientation. Some photos will help you memorise this.
*** end of warning ***

First you have to undo the ribbon cable that goes from the panel into the left hand section.
Now undo the bottom plate.
Carefully (its fragile!) pull the blue jack of the aftertouch ribbon cable of the socket on the left hand section (it is most likely affixed by some glue). Don't fold or pull the cable!
And you have to undo the ribbon cable that goes to the MIDI and keyboard logic board under the keyboard action. Only then you are able to undo the left hand section (beware of the shark edges cutting into the wood of your Minimoog).

Be sure to reconnect all the cables.
Secure the aftertouch jack with some undoable glue or alike.
Be sure to slide the left hand section all the way in and into the grove far in the back. If you are not into this grove, the metal left hand section will go down when applying vertical downward pressure to the back of the left hand section. And be sure to redo all screws into the wood (8 for the bottom plate; 2 for the left hand section) without drilling a new hole into the wood.

If you visit me here in Germany near Stuttgart, I offer to do this mod for you for free.

Sequence:

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:48 pm

unfortunately, I'd have to sail across the sea :D

thx again!

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:48 am

Has anyone tried replacing the wheel on a vintage model D with the austrian company's circuit?

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:30 am

How easy or difficult would it be to mod the Model D with the pitch wheel from the Grandmother (which is sprung)?

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:07 pm

The Muse, and removing that nut, made the reissue much more playable for me. Aside from getting rid of the pitch problems at center, and making the center detent usable, you can set the pitch bend range to your desired interval, and use aftertouch to bring in modulation in an amount set by the wheel. It does more, but these things alone are worth their weight in gold.
It took myself and a friend about an hour to install. No soldering, works like a charm.