ummagumma

Re: Model D Reissue Noise Level

Post by ummagumma » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:16 pm

YEAH!!

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:11 pm

Gladmarr wrote:As it turns out.....

Is that the noise level trim-pot on reissue? If so what level was yours set at and how much higher can it go? I feel like the noise levels are WAY too low to be useful for me. I cannot get enough overall volume out of my Minimoog if I keep the 3 oscillators low enough to hear the noise turned up at full volume. The noise function is basically unusable for my playing because of this.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:44 pm

I just opened mine up to have a look ( with some help from John Updike ) here are a couple pics:

the noise trim pot is on the 2nd board, behind the one on the left

it's pretty easy to adjust

turning the trim pot *counterclockwise* increases the noise level. I turned mine clockwise and put the thing back together before I tested it, not realizing I had turned the noise to the minimum :D

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:08 pm

I guess I should have recorded a before clip, but here is a sample of the noise level trim at max

1. I started with white noise, brought in OSC1 square wave to full volume, then changed to pink noise & did it again

2. did a couple swells with just noise: white & pink

3. after that I changed OSC1 to sine, and repeated #1

https://soundcloud.com/user-912416213/d-noise

ps cutoff freq was @max, filter emphasis @min

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:38 pm

ummagumma wrote:I just opened mine up to have a look ( with some help from John Updike ) here are a couple pics:

the noise trim pot is on the 2nd board, behind the one on the left

it's pretty easy to adjust

turning the trim pot *counterclockwise* increases the noise level. I turned mine clockwise and put the thing back together before I tested it, not realizing I had turned the noise to the minimum :D

I really need to do this BUT am a little nervous. Was it Moog support that helped you? Also just to be totally clear did you choose to turn it up to full volume?

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 am

ah....no John Updike the author ( RIP ) helped me out, by holding up the base of the chassis.

See? he's in the pic, admiring the through hole construction ;)

I carefully removed the back panel ( there are 18 screws holding it on ) and then, with the chassis propped up at a right angle ( thanks John! ), I removed the 4 screws holding the left board on. there is a ribbon cable at the bottom, and the board will tilt outward exposing the 2nd board.

there are 2 teflon washers on the top screws, don't lose them if they fall off

I did turn the noise trimpot all the way up. But I didn't record a sample before I did this, not sure how much louder it is now? it is definitely louder than it was, when the front panel dial is at 10. ( At 0 there is still no noise )

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:44 am

ummagumma wrote:ah....no John Updike the author ( RIP ) helped me out, by holding up the base of the chassis.

See? he's in the pic, admiring the through hole construction ;)

I carefully removed the back panel ( there are 18 screws holding it on ) and then, with the chassis propped up at a right angle ( thanks John! ), I removed the 4 screws holding the left board on. there is a ribbon cable at the bottom, and the board will tilt outward exposing the 2nd board.

there are 2 teflon washers on the top screws, don't lose them if they fall off

I did turn the noise trimpot all the way up. But I didn't record a sample before I did this, not sure how much louder it is now? it is definitely louder than it was, when the front panel dial is at 10. ( At 0 there is still no noise )

That is great man. I am slow on the uptake. :oops: I'm going to do it this weekend hopefully. I have other noise sources but it was disappointing to not be able to use the Minimoogs for sound effects. Now I will be able to.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:46 pm

cool! let us know how it works out for you?

I have never used a vintage one, am curious how it compares

I suppose if we had to, we could adjust the circuit to supply even more noise

good luck!!

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:47 pm

FYI I was messing around with it today, here is another noise level sample with all 3 osc on full

https://soundcloud.com/vogon_dreams/d-noise2

so it's definitely audible above the osc's now!

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 pm

ummagumma wrote:FYI I was messing around with it today, here is another noise level sample with all 3 osc on full

https://soundcloud.com/vogon_dreams/d-noise2

so it's definitely audible above the osc's now!
Dude that is so badass. I cant wait but am a little intimidated by taking mine apart.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:09 pm

haha, thanks!

I was just screwing around, really. I think I switched from white/pink in there somewhere

ps how is it you use the noise, when you are playing? as a mod source as well as audio? or just mod?