Model-D Reissue - MIDI bugginess

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Eluxtria

Model-D Reissue - MIDI bugginess

Post by Eluxtria » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:37 am

Hey, I am a new Model D owner. I was fortunate enough to visit Moogfest this year and the price and everything else was so tempting I had to have it. Ok.

So, I am a seasoned MIDI expert, but its been so long since I have had problems with any MIDI device I am not really sure where to begin. First question would be, does anyone else have issues with using their Model D Reissue as a MIDI controller?

I am using it with Logic Pro X and while I have used more than 50 different controllers with Logic, I have never actually had any kinds of MIDI problems like I am experiencing with the Model D.

Two primary symptoms:
• stuck notes (not receiving off events correctly)
• not playing any notes at all (requires start/stop logic a few times to 'jiggle the handle'

Sometimes, I have to power-cycle the Model D before it will transmit notes. What's weirder is that often Logic shows its receiving notes, but somehow not responding to them. This is incredibly rare. Its almost like its getting a broken note on signal which registers enough to be a note event but then does nothing.

I also had a lot of trouble with local on/off modes initially too. Where once I turned local OFF, it stopped transmitting notes, even after a restart. Sometimes switching local off/on/off/on a few times is required to get it to respond correctly.

I should probably call Moog tech support, but I really do not want to have to ship it back. I feel like I am still experiencing my honeymoon phase.

Thanks!

Iaamusic

Re: Model-D Reissue - MIDI bugginess

Post by Iaamusic » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Are you using latest firmware?

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:40 pm

I tried using mine and all of these features work fine

Indeed, it might be worth a shot upgrading your firmware
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

cloudswim

Post by cloudswim » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:11 pm

bichuelo wrote:I tried using mine and all of these features work fine

Indeed, it might be worth a shot upgrading your firmware
DO YOU WORK FOR MOOG?

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:59 pm

I am dealer and official service center for my country

I do work with them, but I am not an employee
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

cloudswim

Post by cloudswim » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:07 pm

bichuelo wrote:I am dealer and official service center for my country

yeh its frustrating, because you keep telling everyone it should work. But people don't just make up the symptoms. These are expensive instruments and should work flawlessly.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:45 pm

cloudswim wrote:
bichuelo wrote:I am dealer and official service center for my country

yeh its frustrating, because you keep telling everyone it should work. But people don't just make up the symptoms. These are expensive instruments and should work flawlessly.
Sorry for any misunderstanding.

I think I am being clear enough when I speak about my unit. I do want to help

I am not trying to say you are doing something wrong and Moog has no fault whatsoever regarding your problem. Usually, I am able to fix simple problems on electronic devices easily, intuitively. As far as making a cellphone or a microwave oven work for friends or family.

If I can reproduce your problem in my unit, and help you, I am willing to do so!

cloudswim

Post by cloudswim » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:00 am

Understand. Thanks!

Appreciate for the assistance.

I'm actually having some MIDI problems.

I want to send midi notes from another synth using arpeggio into the MINIMOOG. ( synth midi out into minimoog midi in ) .

Before it was working, but now its not working. Maybe it has something to do with the midi channel?

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:02 am

Are you set up for Last Note Priority? I can't remember if it was the reissue minimoog or another mono where hi note or low note priority was the problem when driving it with an arpegiator.

amichaela

Post by amichaela » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:51 pm

Hey there, I'm having similar issues. Model D reissue, had it for about 2 weeks, running the latest logic pro and it's wonky. Sustained notes, and same issues the other person was having. Was there a fix here? How do I update firmware?

Minimooger

Post by Minimooger » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:41 am

amichaela wrote:Hey there, I'm having similar issues. Model D reissue, had it for about 2 weeks, running the latest logic pro and it's wonky. Sustained notes, and same issues the other person was having. Was there a fix here? How do I update firmware?
I had similar issues and the thing is that the minimoog does not like midi loops . eg if the mini is connected to logic and logic to the mini,as soon as you play on the mini the notes coming back from logic makes the mini stuck.

if using local off, its just the same. although it should not.

the solution is: do not use midi loop. i know that should be possible in 2017 :?

i have installed the muse interface which is a great feature set for the mini. unfortunately it does not cure this midi handling of the mini. so i do not play on the mini keyboard when using logic. i remote control the mini from my masterkeyboard. this works fine because it can handle now all sorts of pitchwheel and modwheel controllers etc.

breun

Post by breun » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:41 pm

amichaela wrote:How do I update firmware?
Download it from https://www.moogmusic.com/products/mini ... nloads-tab
A PDF with instructions is included.

ebbletarts

Post by ebbletarts » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:09 pm

I had similar issues and the thing is that the minimoog does not like midi loops . eg if the mini is connected to logic and logic to the mini,as soon as you play on the mini the notes coming back from logic makes the mini stuck.

if using local off, its just the same. although it should not.
I think I'm running into a similar problem. I have local off and am using my model d reissue as a master keyboard to control my sequencer (a Squarp Pyramid). If the minimoog is receiving a sequence and i change the pyramid to send on a different midi channel, the minimoog will receive the notes from the other channel in addition to the notes on its own channel. If the sequence is not running, the minimoog behaves as expected and does not play notes on other channels.

It's super weird. I've confirmed it by using a different synth in the same configuration (a minibrute) and by testing the minimoog out with two other sequencers (FLStudio and MidiRex).

I tried emailing moog support and adam, but I haven't heard back in about a week and a half. I've never contacted moog support so I don't know if that's normal or not.

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:17 am

I have not encounter that issue, but I mainly sequence the new Model D from Doepfer Maq 16/3 and not that frequently from Logic...yet. I guess you have, but I mention it anyhow as it sometimes has been a root of such problems in my studio during the years:

- Checked MIDI Interface. If it’s USB Interface and one has as in my case a number of USB devices sometimes the power of the USB port not always is efficient and can make the Interface drop (as it happened now and then to my Unitor II interface) with stuck notes as a result.
- MIDI cables, replaced? Last month I had problem with the MIDI of my Model D but it was related the one of the MIDI cables.The MIDI cables can sometimes interfere with power cables when running parallel.
- Clocks running from Logic (if activated in the MIDI / Sync Menu) can carouse such problems as well a as clock running from another instrument or device.

It seems like some synths are more tolerant to error in code in the data stream than other just like digital audio devices.

But of course, it can be the Model D as well. My experience with Moog’s support is great. Once I had to remind of an email I sent but the reply was kind and very helpful.

ebbletarts

Post by ebbletarts » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Thanks for the input! I first noticed the issue on the Pyramid, the FLstudio control was only for testing and the issue was identical from both midi sources. It's possible that there's some sync/clock issue like in your 3rd point from the Pyramid, FLStudio, and the MidiRex so I'll check and see if there's some clock/sync-out setting I can change for all of them.

I've tried with different midi cables and I'm not using any usb interfaces when using the Pyramid or MIidiRex. The only USB tool is a iConnectivity mio USB to 5-pin DIN cable which I use when testing from FLStudio.

It also just started happening a few weeks ago, so I don't think the minimoog is working-as-intended, unless it was broken before and fixed itself if you see what I mean.

I've heard moog support is great, maybe they are just busy with NAMM :D