Model-D Reissue - MIDI bugginess

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
rockstarjazzcat

Re: Model-D Reissue - MIDI bugginess

Post by rockstarjazzcat » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:48 pm

This is very much still an issue for me, and i'm a bit baffled as to why it hasn't been addressed given that it was reported so long ago.

With local control off, notes are transmitted, as one would expect. Unfortunately, if they are round tripped back into the Model D (standard use of local control off), the unit seems to filter out incoming notes! I emailed a week and a half ago, provided extra details, and never heard back. I talked to Adam this morning. He promised to relay my concerns to the engineers, but there was no real word on why I hadn't gotten a response.

Pressing a key should not gate incoming midi notes off with local control off. The playback and output should be completely independent as far as incoming midi processing is concerned. If there is a hardware reason that this was impossible to implement properly, I'd like to hear about. No response is positively fishy. I've always had great luck with the Moog staff up until now. Very odd.

I believe my firmware is updated to the latest. Is anyone aware of an update or relevant instruction that I may have missed?

Many thanks in advance.

breun

Post by breun » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:20 am

I've pointed out some issues with the Minimoog Model D SysEx Data Sheet by emailing Moog in May 2017. I got a 'request received' email, but never got an actual response. :(

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:15 pm

I am guessing the development & troubleshooting on ONE has probably taken a lot of resources

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:34 pm

rockstarjazzcat wrote:With local control off, notes are transmitted, as one would expect. Unfortunately, if they are round tripped back into the Model D (standard use of local control off), the unit seems to filter out incoming notes!
ebbletarts wrote:If the minimoog is receiving a sequence and i change the pyramid to send on a different midi channel, the minimoog will receive the notes from the other channel in addition to the notes on its own channel.
Did either of you ever resolve these issues?

Does this happen to anyone else?

I am concerned, since I just ordered a D, and I plan on sequencing it from my Octatrack and using it as a master MIDI keyboard.

Many thanks!

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:31 pm

After receiving my new Model D, I have confirmed Issue #1 and Issue #2, as described above.

With Issue #1, there is a workaround; that is, set the D to use last note priority. Not ideal, but usable.

Unfortunately, there is no workaround for Issue #2, which means it is not possible to use the D as a master keyboard (to trigger other synths) while it is being sequenced.

To restate Issue #2: If the D is receiving a sequence, and the user changes the sequencer to send on a different MIDI channel, then the D will receive the notes from the other channel IN ADDITION to the notes on the D's own channel. If the sequence is not running, then the D behaves as expected and does not play notes on other channels.

I also found another issue, Issue #3. If the D is set to MIDI channel 10 and LOCAL CONTROL is OFF, then the D does not transmit note C2.

I contacted Moog support to ask if there any hope of getting these issues fixed, especially #1 and #2.

For a $3000 synth, it kind of seems reasonable to expect the MIDI to work properly. It's not like this is a Behringer...

Cambodiamusic

Post by Cambodiamusic » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:05 pm

I also own a model D reissue, and i have different/similar problem.

When using Local OFF, i send midi out to a track on Squarp Pyramid, and send pyramid midi Out to the Moog.
On my part, it works fine that way. I can play the moog using its keyboard, and it responds well.

But if I activate an arpeggiator on the track, then playing on the moog gets really messy, all kind of double notes and fast retriggering.
If I play from another midi controller, the moog responds fine.

Its like playing the keys even with local off triggers a gate.

I plan on using the pyramid analog gate/CV/Velocity to control the moog.

mcalliph

Post by mcalliph » Wed May 24, 2023 12:54 am

My 2016 Reissue has the same problem of not being able to receive midi notes while playing them regardless of setting.

I was able to use MIDI to CV/gate conversion to successfully get around the issue:

Model D 2016 (midi out) -> (midi in) Synthstrom Deluge (cv/gate out) -> (cv/gate in) Model D 2016

acemonvw

Post by acemonvw » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:10 am

But if I activate an arpeggiator on the track, then playing on the moog gets really messy, all kind of double notes and fast retriggering.
If I play from another midi controller, the moog responds fine.

Its like playing the keys even with local off triggers a gate.
Well - this same bug exists on the 2022 version, meaning Moog could not be bothered to correct this issue in the last 6+ years. Kind of absurd.

I was playing it tonight with local off, with my Spectralis. MIDI input and outputs were paired on the two devices as they should. If I held down notes on the Mini, it would double up the notes, which doesn't make sense. This occurred EVEN after I removed the MIDI cables - I thought 'how could this be, it's not even a MIDI feedback look, it's internal!'

If I use the same midi setup with the Virus TI instead, there is no issue. If I send MIDI from the virus to the Spectralis to the Mini, no issue - it's just with the Mini itself.

I messed with all of the 'trigger' options but nothing affected this behavior. Crazy that now we're spending $5000 on a synth and it doesn't work as expected.