MiniMoog to Minitaur CV

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
sub guy

MiniMoog to Minitaur CV

Post by sub guy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:25 pm

Hey I hope this is not a question for which there is no answer but to make fun of me, :oops: but shouldn't this work for playing the Minitaur using CV from the Monimoog? Pitch CV out on the MiniMoog into the Pitch CV in of the Minitaur, shouldn't I be able to play note for note this way?

Kirneh Ness

Re: MiniMoog to Minitaur CV

Post by Kirneh Ness » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:49 am

sub guy wrote:Hey I hope this is not a question for which there is no answer but to make fun of me, :oops: but shouldn't this work for playing the Minitaur using CV from the Monimoog? Pitch CV out on the MiniMoog into the Pitch CV in of the Minitaur, shouldn't I be able to play note for note this way?
I am not super well versed in all this (still learning). I have a Minitaur, but no D. Anyway, this should definitely be possible, but you need to have 'gate' triggered in the Minitaur. So use 'gate' from the D into the 'gate' on the Minitaur as well. Then it should work. I am eager to hear if it works.
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:14 pm

does gate include pitch info? I thought it was only a trigger?

OP could probably use MIDI to hook the minimoog up to the minitaur too, I believe

what does the minitaur manual say about CV in?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:53 pm

GATE only holds trigger information.
PITCH CV holds the continuous pitc information.
Both are needed for playing a synth from another because the slaved synth need to know what pitch its oscillator(s) should be set to, and when to trigger the envelope(s).

I think gate and CV formats are the same between the Minitaur and the Model D; indeed the manuals will tell more accurately than me :)

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:14 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:GATE only holds trigger information.
PITCH CV holds the continuous pitc information.
Both are needed for playing a synth from another because the slaved synth need to know what pitch its oscillator(s) should be set to, and when to trigger the envelope(s).

I think gate and CV formats are the same between the Minitaur and the Model D; indeed the manuals will tell more accurately than me :)
Im going to have to look into it when I get more time. I finally got the midi info figured out and am now running the Minitaur with the Model D via midi. When last I tried though the CV approach was not working I was just getting the same high note out the the Minitaur no matter what key I hit on the Model D.

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:05 am

sub guy wrote:I was just getting the same high note out the the Minitaur
I got that as well the first time I tried cv (using an external cv source). I managed to get tones instead by calibrating via firmware. I know it is a vague answer, but find calibration in the settings, and then you should be able to calibrate the Minitaur's available notes to incoming cv. In theory it should definitely work :D
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.