Connecting Mixer Out/Filter In to guitar amp

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
mgregory22

Connecting Mixer Out/Filter In to guitar amp

Post by mgregory22 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:16 pm

How do I connect the Mixer Out/Filter In cable of my Voyager safely to my Bugera guitar amp? I want to add some distortion.

I have the ring hooked into the input and I'm not sure whether I should plug the tip into the phones jack or the 4 ohm speaker jack.

Also, there's a power attenuator switch, that I don't know how to set. It has settings of 0.1W, 1W, 5W.
Bugera Output.png
Bugera Output.png (137.76 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
I just don't want to break anything on this $3500 synth :)

stiiiiiiive

Re: Connecting Mixer Out/Filter In to guitar amp

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:35 am

Other may correct me but I think you SHOULD NOT use the speaker output. The phones output may be ho too. The power selector is related with the speaker, BTW.
In your shoes, I’d use a stompbox or FX unit rather than an amp.

mgregory22

Post by mgregory22 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:17 am

I don't have a distortion pedal, just this amp. Do you think some distortion pedals are better than others for synths? I was thinking of getting a Strymon Riverside.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:17 am

probably NOT wise to hook the speaker out into the voyager

headphone might work, but I would email Moog and ask if it's ok before trying it

why don't you just hook up the one of the L/R audio output from the moog, into the gtr amp and use it as a regular amp?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:23 am

mgregory22 wrote:Do you think some distortion pedals are better than others for synths? I was thinking of getting a Strymon Riverside.
It depends on what you want to hear. That being said, you can consult this topic.

mgregory22

Post by mgregory22 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:02 pm

ummagumma wrote:probably NOT wise to hook the speaker out into the voyager

headphone might work, but I would email Moog and ask if it's ok before trying it

why don't you just hook up the one of the L/R audio output from the moog, into the gtr amp and use it as a regular amp?
Well, I like to record stuff, and I don't really want to mic the amp and all that. Plus, I want to keep the stereo separation and all that. I just thought a little color would be cool.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:28 pm

You could not have kept stereo the way you intented to do it.
If you record in a DAW, you can still use a amp sim in the box and have it in parallel with your dry signal.

If -like me- you prefer having the stuff under the fingers, and if you intend to have this color on a regular basis, have a look to the nex EHX Overload: stereo overdrive and boost with 3 band eq and dry/wet setting.

If -finally- stereo is not that important but having the dry and the colored signals in parallel stays important, look at all the bass preamps and/or dirt boxes (Tech 21 VT Bass DI, EHX muff series for bass or their new Battalion...)

If stereo is more important than having some dry signal in parallel, check out the ProCo Deucetone.

Finally, if money is not a problem, you may be interested in the Elektron Analogue Heat.

I'm sure other Mooguys have even more ideas :)