Voyager stoped working

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
redcat2

Voyager stoped working

Post by redcat2 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:11 am

Hi, Had the Voyager on for 3 hours went and got some dinner came back and the Voyager was still all lit-up but no words in the lcd panel and no sound coming out?

And a small crackling sound coming out of the mixer channels it was plugged in to very low.

Any ideas? turned it of for 2 hours turned it back on still the same all lit-up no words in Lcd screen and no sound.

Markyboard

Re: Voyager stoped working

Post by Markyboard » Fri May 26, 2017 8:12 am

Sorry to say this sounds like a part failure. You'll have to send it in for servicing. You can contact Moog an ask if this might be a known/common symptom of something easily replaceable by yourself - but I doubt it. Good luck.

redcat2

Post by redcat2 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:21 am

Found where problem is coming from on this board, will pull out later in the week and test all resistors, i am sure the problem is in number one photo section of the board.
Attachments
Photo3.jpg
photo 2.jpg
Photo 1.jpg

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Mon May 29, 2017 7:31 am

I'm curious how you determined this to be the problem area and what the source of the problem turns out to be - especially without schematics.

redcat2

Post by redcat2 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:38 pm

You dont need schematics to check a board, this is where the burning smell is i pull out the board de soldering one of the resistors and then testing them all. It is one of the resistors that have gone in fact i have done a bit of testing all ready and can tell you 3 are no good. The ones in red in the photo.
Attachments
Photo 4.jpg

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Tue May 30, 2017 4:08 am

Hey RC2

Visual inspection and burned smell - all good first order troubleshooting techniques. While those resistors need to be replaced chances are something else caused an excess current load, perhaps a part shorting internally downstream of those resistors . I'm not trying to discourage you, much the opposite and good on you for taking a stab at this. If it were me I would contact Moog and try to talk to a tech. They might be able to point you towards a potentially bad part that could take out those 3 resistors.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:42 am

The symptoms that you mention (blank LCD) would indicate that the digital board is malfunctioning or that something on the analog board is so bad that power is sinking and thus the digital board has crashed but I'm guessing that the voltage required is quite different.

The diff between the Voyager and an Voyager Old School aside from the way that the pots are wired, is simply the presence or absence of the digital board which appears to the left of the analog board that you have there in your pictures.

Assuming the 3 resisters that you cited are NOT the problem, I would start by testing the output of the power supply and securing all ribbon cables and power cables. I'd also ready out to Moog and ask them if there was a way to test the digital board by itself (with no analog board connected). There must be a test mode.

I missed whether you bought it 2nd hand or if it was JUST purchased and already a problem but assuming you are somewhat local to an authorized dealer, I would take it there or better yet, simply return it to the retailer as DOA and get them to replace it. Once you touch that thing with a soldering iron, you've basically removed a series of options from the table. I compare the Voyager to the Space Shuttle due to it's complexity as compared to single board synths which have a pot board connected with only one or two ribbon cables.

Most of all, good luck and I'm interested to hear what it was.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!