Powered Speaker advice needed

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
space_is_the_place

Powered Speaker advice needed

Post by space_is_the_place » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:52 pm

I am planning to buy a pair of powered speaker for my voyager.
Could you guys give me some advices?
My eyes are on the yamaha MSP5, what do u guys think?

synthwalker

Post by synthwalker » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:34 pm

Yamie want the MSP5 to replace the NS10 + amp. But I'd rather go for a pair of Genelec 1030 (which I own) or Mackie HR-824, even HR-624. In fact, something more powerfull so that you could better appreciate all the details of the sound of your Voyager. I know it is a lot more money, but the sound of your Vger is worth it.

TonyR

Post by TonyR » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:15 am

If you mean active near field monitors then I can vouch for the KRK V-4's as im enjoying them right now, theyre mid range priced and they are really loud considering their size. If you are talking about live application monitors then I have no idea as those would probably not even fit in my apartment hahah :)

space_is_the_place

Post by space_is_the_place » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:27 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, folks.
How 'bout a mixing console that go with your monitors?
What do u guys use?
My friend said that a Behringer is as good as a Mackie.
I am thinking about the EURORACK MX602A only cos due to my budget constriant.
Yhanks again!

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:06 pm

You might consider trying to find a used mixing board rather than buying one new. I got a used Soundcraft for about the same price as a Behringer, and I've got sweep mids on my EQs and direct outs (for using the mic preamps for recording to multitrack).

If you're considering a Mackie, consider an Allen & Heath instead. You can get a 16-channel MixWizard for the same price as a Mackie 1604, and there's really no comparison in terms of sound quality and build.

If you really need a cheap-as-dirt mixer, consider Yamaha. That or a used board.

Behringer is what you get when you walk into the music store and ask "What's the absolute cheapest mixer on the face of the planet? Preferably one with a flaky power supply and -oh- could it be made in China, too, and be impossible to order replacement parts for?" Uh, that'd be a Behringer, sir. The $3-a-bottle wine of the audio world.

-Hoax

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:15 pm

Oh, and monitor-wise, the Yamahas are actually pretty decent. They're quite durable, and you can abuse them a bit without having them complain (which will be important, as you'll likely be creating some speaker-cone-punishing noises with your Voyager!)

The Genelecs and Mackies are also quite good. If you're looking in the price range of the Genelec stuff, consider Dynaudios.

KRK makes good stuff, too. Slot-ported, so no port noise as you crank up the volume. Pretty much all the suggestions in this thread are good ones. Just go listen to some monitors. And remember, the best monitors aren't necessarily the ones that "sound the best", but the ones that let you hear the details of your music (flaws and all).

-Hoax

dizz

Post by dizz » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:07 pm

I use some Event TR6 nearfield monitors. Tried some TR5's first and they just didn't reproduce much of the great low-end the Voyager is capable of. Being a bass/guitar player also, I really wanted the 8''ers. But space is at a premium. That's why I also use one of the el cheapO MX602A's. It definitely has its limitations but for 50$ it's not bad. No on board power switch, brick type power supply. It seems quite clean for the price (although price isn't the main issue). I'm old school and played pro for years so I do most of my multi-tracking real-time. I run the mixer into a M-audio Delta 44 then back out of the Delta to the monitors. No complaints so far!

Cheers and happy new year!

Dizz

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:57 pm

Seems kind of strange, though, to save up for an excellently manufactured, no-compromises superior synth, then use the absolute cheapest mixer possible. It's like having an original Van Gogh, but taking a snapshot of it with a Polaroid and enlarging that to hang on your wall.

I'm sure you probably considered the Access Virus, Jomox Sunsyn, Clavia Nord, etc, but finally decided on the Moog due to its superior design and gorgeous sound. You might consider doing the same with your mixer and/or monitors.

In my opinion, your mixer will be of greater significance than your monitors at first, because it'll actually be part of your recording path, whereas you can learn to mix with almost any monitors. The important thing with monitors is learning what yours sound like.

That said, the Event TR6s do sound like they have more bass than the TR5s. I think that's due not olnly to the dual ports, but also to the fact that the crossover slope is twice as steep in the TR6s than it is in the TR5s. So the TR6s sound kinda "hifi" and scoopy to my ears, as do the TR8s (which use the same crossover as the TR6s). The TR5s, in comparison, sound kind of honky and prominent in the midrange. I've mixed for years on Yamaha NS10s, so I actually prefer the sound of the TR5s. It ain't pleasant, but for me, it's much easier to make good-sounding mix with this type of speaker.

-Hoax

space_is_the_place

Post by space_is_the_place » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:47 pm

Really thanks for all the advices here...
For the near field monitors, I have found a pair of Fostex NF1A at really low price... looks like the local dealer here is really trying to get rid of those....
I have tested those today, the sound is really not bad for the bass sound...
hopefully I could hear more details when i bring those home...

But I am still searching for a 2nd hand mixer .......

Thanks!