Electric Blue + CV Expander Kills LFO?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
rpernett

Electric Blue + CV Expander Kills LFO?

Post by rpernett » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:53 am

So, I was about 10 minutes from pulling the trigger on a used Voyager Electric Blue with a VX 351 included at Guitarget (Guitar Center). Everything felt and sounded pretty good, BUT, as long as the DB25 -> VX 351 were hooked up, the LFO would start to misbehave.

Without the VX 351, LFO light would pulse at it's programmed pace for all patches and the mod wheel behaved as expected. Connected, the LFO light pulses until you touch a key, then it STOPS. If you stop playing eventually in some cases the LFO would start to pulse again.

Here's where is gets extra-weird...If you plug a cable into the triangle wave patch point, the LFO would pulse normally again and the mod wheel would work, BUT the LFO would pulse at a DIFFERENT rate and the pulse light would blink more strongly (darker lows, brighter highs).

Is this normal or should I RUN AWAY?

Thanks for your help!
Sub 37 (Oct, 2015 Build) + Model 15 (app)
DSI Tetra, K2500RS, Juno 106, SH-32, JP-08, CS6x, Logic/RME Babyface

rpernett

Re: Electric Blue + CV Expander Kills LFO?

Post by rpernett » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:15 am

This ended up being one of the units with the "Wrong Chip". It eventually led the the synth just dying. Sent it back to Guitarget.
Sub 37 (Oct, 2015 Build) + Model 15 (app)
DSI Tetra, K2500RS, Juno 106, SH-32, JP-08, CS6x, Logic/RME Babyface

domingoangel

Post by domingoangel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:29 pm

Feel for you, I had my fingers burned the same way. I now have a spare board with a dead oscillator for my old school. the new Minimoog with a PSU is on sale now. Err no thanks. :mrgreen:

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:30 am

rpernett wrote:This ended up being one of the units with the "Wrong Chip". It eventually led the the synth just dying. Sent it back to Guitarget.
You should speak to Moog's tech support. Include the S/N of your EB. There is a chance your unit qualifies for an extended warranty.

If if does, they will replace you the faulty board for a new one at no cost
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra