does my pitch wheel need calibrating - model d reissue

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Sihaz

does my pitch wheel need calibrating - model d reissue

Post by Sihaz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:47 pm

hi, i got a reissue this week and have really fallen for it. have had a sub 37 for about 18 months which i really like but this is just on another level :-)

one question though. When i record midi bend, the pitch that the wheel takes the sound is different when played back via midi.

Easy to demo that explain - I shall put a video on youtube and post the link....

Sihaz

Re: does my pitch wheel need calibrating - model d reissue

Post by Sihaz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:11 pm

hmm - further investigations - have made a couple of videos which i'll post once they're uploaded.

so i have made a patch with a long sustain. when i hold down the key on the mini - the pitch shifts an octave and a 6th. if i touch the key then move the pitch shift, it moves a 6th. this happens up and down.

when i play the mini from an axiom 49 midi keyboard the pitch shift moves an octave each way but only while holding down a key. no key held - no pitch shift.

when i play back the recorded midi from my daw, the mini only responds to the pitch bend for the sections when i held down the key. it ignores the pitch info, (which is there in the daw ok), unless there seems to be an active midi note on... also it shifts a clean octave like when i play from a controller keyboard.

all of this means i can't really guess what i'll get back when using midi.

can anyone with a mini reissue try this for me?

Thanks

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:30 pm

https://youtu.be/k3FIBx4xHsU

https://youtu.be/o4ENJ5WkR90

some demos of what i'm talking about

SlowLFOtoPitch

Post by SlowLFOtoPitch » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Hello, this was a bug in the firmware that was corrected with v1.8. The new firmware is available on the downloads tab of the Model D page:
https://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default ... v1_8_0.zip

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:47 pm

I am able to try it on Thursday, maybe earlier.

If I don't, please pitch me on this thread so I remember
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:27 am

SlowLFOtoPitch wrote:Hello, this was a bug in the firmware that was corrected with v1.8. The new firmware is available on the downloads tab of the Model D page:
https://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default ... v1_8_0.zip
Already reset the synth and updated the firmware. No change so it's not that i'm afraid...

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:46 am

bichuelo wrote:I am able to try it on Thursday, maybe earlier.

Hi did you get a chance to try this? Thanks si

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:42 pm

Sihaz wrote:
bichuelo wrote:I am able to try it on Thursday, maybe earlier.

Hi did you get a chance to try this? Thanks si

I just tried it. Indeed the pitch wheel behaves different as expected. Unfortunately there is no clear explanation on the manual as how it is intended to work (page 13).

I did a successful update to version 1.8.0 and had a blast with I Feel Love's melody! I don't find anything has changed, as well

The tests I did where slightly different from yours. I simply use the Sub 37 as a controller for the Model D. When I do this, the pitch wheel moves an octave in both directions. If I play it directly on the D, the wheel moves the pitch 7 semitones in both directions.
If I use the feature on the Sub 37 alone, the pitch bend values affect the pitch after the key has been lifted (if there is enough release time), and in the D, it doesn't. I am not sure if this is a bug or is the way it is designed.

If you are able to reproduce this exactly as I explain, then we can confirm the behavior is not related to our specific units, but to the design/firmware on the D.

Please confirm, I am able to open the case and speak directly to Moog's tech team, since I am the service center manager for my country
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:59 pm

bichuelo wrote: I just tried it. Indeed the pitch wheel behaves different as expected. Unfortunately there is no clear explanation on the manual as how it is intended to work (page 13).

I did a successful update to version 1.8.0 and had a blast with I Feel Love's melody! I don't find anything has changed, as well

The tests I did where slightly different from yours. I simply use the Sub 37 as a controller for the Model D. When I do this, the pitch wheel moves an octave in both directions. If I play it directly on the D, the wheel moves the pitch 7 semitones in both directions.
If I use the feature on the Sub 37 alone, the pitch bend values affect the pitch after the key has been lifted (if there is enough release time), and in the D, it doesn't. I am not sure if this is a bug or is the way it is designed.

If you are able to reproduce this exactly as I explain, then we can confirm the behavior is not related to our specific units, but to the design/firmware on the D.

Please confirm, I am able to open the case and speak directly to Moog's tech team, since I am the service center manager for my country
Hi thanks for checking. That sounds just like mine. Remote keyboard or DAW, 8ve bend but only when holding a key. Local bend 7 semis unless attached to the DAW when the extra 8ve seems to be a loopback midi thing... I guess it's a quirk rather than a fault.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Well then maybe we should simply consider it as part of the design?

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:20 am

I found that on the site, not on the manual, it states the pitch wheel's range is +/-5 semitones (minimum): https://www.moogmusic.com/products/mini ... #specs-tab

I wonder if that answers part of our questions... :roll:

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:08 pm

bichuelo wrote:Well then maybe we should simply consider it as part of the design?
I guess, but it is a bit non standard :)

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 am

Curiously enough, the manual states on page 18 that the pitch wheel does not send control voltage to the CV output.
That is true. But, if you send PB MIDI values, it does send CV! :mrgreen:

It works fantasically when you send pitch output to the Mother-32 + Werkstatt and use them as extra oscillators. 5 Osc monster :twisted:

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14 am

Got this from Adam at moogmusic the other day:

"I’ve recreated a similar setup with one of our test Model D’s here in our service center. I first tried sending note on/off data from the controller and using the controllers pitch wheel to affect the Model D’s pitch. I got the same results you did; the pitch bend coming from the controller works until I let off of the key on the controller. After the note off message has been sent from the controller, the pitch wheel no longer affected the Model D’s pitch. I then tried a similar test using the Model D’s pitch wheel. This yielded different results; the Model D’s pitch wheel will continue to affect the pitch after the note off message has been sent from the controller.

So I believe what you are experiencing is completely normal and your Model D is functioning as expected. I would continue to test out the different functions and settings on your Model D. If you come across anything else that seems odd, please let me know and I will be glad to help."

Seems the odd pitch bend behaviour via midi is normal so no problems with our instuments :-) Guess if you want to use pitch bend and record the midi, a controller keyboard is the only option unless this can be tweaked with an update...

Cheers,

Si