Wobbly switches in the Model D reissue

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ikazlar

Wobbly switches in the Model D reissue

Post by ikazlar » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:59 am

Check out this video a guy posted in GS:

https://youtu.be/rY9Xvm8hpwQ

I think it's rather unacceptable for a product this expensive to have these kind of issues.
The walls of Jericho were brought down by a Minimoog.

Sihaz

Re: Wobbly switches in the Model D reissue

Post by Sihaz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:42 pm

I posted that video because someone asked to see what the switches were like. They are absolutely fine as I said in the thread on gearslutz. Yes they move side to side a bit but they feel very positive and well made. It isn't an "issue" at all...

paramnesia

Post by paramnesia » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:50 pm

looks like wiggle in the switchcap cover, not the switch
Sub37TE V1.2 / 4 X CP-251, 3 x MF-104M, MF-102, MF-107, MF-108M, 4 x Mother32, MP-201
My Eurorack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2268669
My Pedal Board https://www.modulargrid.net/p/racks/view/461843

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Sihaz wrote:I posted that video because someone asked to see what the switches were like. They are absolutely fine as I said in the thread on gearslutz. Yes they move side to side a bit but they feel very positive and well made. It isn't an "issue" at all...
That was me.

I find the wiggling annoying - but if you don't have a problem with it, it's ok. I'd prefer impeccable construction and attention to details for this price.
The walls of Jericho were brought down by a Minimoog.

moogmusic
Site Admin

Post by moogmusic » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Hello all- a little background on the Minimoog switches:

The switches used in the Minimoogs of the 1970s employed a rocker switch with rivet-affixed switch caps. To do this today, we would have to custom-manufacture a new (mechanically untested) part, which we felt was too risky on an instrument of this quality. With the exception of the manner in which the cap is affixed to switch, it is as true to the original as possible.

These are the same high-quality American-manufactured rocker switches found in the Voyager. We chose them because they have proven to be highly reliable after 15 years in the field.

To implement the part, we increased the rocker switch cutouts in the Minimoog Model D panel to prevent the switches from rubbing. This cosmetic and experiential element was identified while producing the Voyager at our factory in Asheville, NC. The slight increase in perceived wobble is due to lack of direct panel contact.

This doesn’t change what you are observing, but should help clarify why there shouldn’t any cause for alarm, as it is completely normal.

Love,
Your friends at Moog

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:52 pm

ikazlar wrote:
Sihaz wrote:I posted that video because someone asked to see what the switches were like. They are absolutely fine as I said in the thread on gearslutz. Yes they move side to side a bit but they feel very positive and well made. It isn't an "issue" at all...
That was me.

I find the wiggling annoying - but if you don't have a problem with it, it's ok. I'd prefer impeccable construction and attention to details for this price.
Well i guess now you've read the reply from MM you can rest assured about their attention to detail. Have you actually touched a reissue? Sounds to me like perhaps not. They feel totally luxurious including the switches :-)

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:02 pm

For what it's worth, I much prefer the action of the rocker switches on the original Model D. They seem more positive and 'clicky'.

I haven't spend enough time with the reissue D to notice but the switches on the Voyager have always seemed a little soft and sloppy to me compared to those on the original D.